Chapter 32: Time Waits for No One

SACRED MERCY - IXTLAR'S ORBIT

BRYKA ACRUX

     I raised onto my toes and stretched my arms above my head, working my stiff muscles from the shuttle ride from Coruscant to Ixtlar's outer atmosphere as Gungi shifted his weight from foot to foot, eagerly waiting for Gunner to lower the shuttle ramp.

     Before I could blink, C3 leaped onto my back, voicing his impatience with a series of beeps.

     "Ok, ok," I giggled, pushing loose strands of hair behind my ears. "We're going now." I snuck a sideways glance at Gunner. A silent admiration twinkled in his eyes.

     I approached Gungi, whose figure was dwarfed compared to the hangar bay's vastness. He scanned the dimly lit expanse. Hangar Bay Eight of the Sacred Mercy was a cavernous space—the relaxed atmosphere filled with a soft hum of machinery. The faint scent of engine oil and the strong scent of paint welcomed our senses. Rows of gunships and starfighters stood at attention, their sleek forms gleaming with new coats of paint reflecting the low light.

     Gungi craned his neck. His eyes filled with wonder as he studied each intricate detail. His gaze darted from one starship to another, awed by the sheer scale of it all. He'd more than likely been on a cruiser before. Most younglings had. But this was the place he'd eventually call home. That alone took the small Wookiee by surprise.

     On the right, some of Bravo and Charlie's men waited in standard formation, blinking up at us in their shiny white armor with fresh indigo-painted designs. Their anticipation flooded my senses. In front of them, Captain Stacker stood tall, looking as dutiful and gloomy as usual.

     Gungi stiffened for a second. I placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. A strong wave of excitement and nervousness flowed from my Padawan. He looked up at me with a snaggle-toothed smile. "Gungi," I said, not bothering to fight back my smile, "This is your new home. Welcome to the Sacred Mercy."

     The Wookiee nodded, his expression shifting from awe to determination. With a deep breath, he stepped forward and descended the ramp.

     The men of Bravo Company held their formation. However, the men in Charlie Company didn't share the latter's formality as they quickly surrounded my Padawan and extended welcoming hands and words of greeting and encouragement. Even mechanical crews working on the gunships further down ventured over to join the welcome party. The hangar was no longer quiet and solemn but a celebratory scene full of life and laughter. C3 took this as an opportunity to run into the crowd as if saying, "Don't have fun without me."

     My heart swelled with pride and joy as a smile crossed my Padawan's face as C3 hopped onto his back. His smile widened when the men in Bravo struggled to keep their composure and decided to break formation as well and join the welcome party.

     Captain Stacker yelled at his men to get back in line, as well as something about how informal this was and making them condition till they couldn't stand anymore. A wicked cackle slipped from Gunner beside me at Stacker's expense. He coughed, quickly covering it. I swallowed a laugh, not at Stacker, but from the foreign, malicious sound that slipped from Gunner. To my knowledge, I didn't know what kind of rivalry or history Gunner and Stacker shared–I hadn't bothered to ask. Nonetheless, it was entertaining as hell to watch.

     My attention slipped back to Gungi, hoisted onto one of the soldier's shoulders, and paraded around the hanger. For a brief moment, I thought I'd have to rescue my Padawan from his new celebrity status, but Gunner softly brushed my hand with his gloved one, pulling my attention, once again, away from Gungi. He flashed me a light smile and soft eyes. He'll be ok.