Chapter 10: Agony on Agamar

AGAMAR 

GENERAL ACRUX

     "We need to draw them out!"

    I pushed Gunner behind me. Closing my eyes, the Force guided me throughout the room; every step, every breath, every shot became clear. I focused on the opening to the far right of us, then directed my voice there. "This way, Captain," I whispered, but my voice appeared way in front of us. I began carrying my voice further, hopefully luring the droids out into the open. My rambling words continued to echo away from us. Twelve droids rallied towards my trap.

     "You couldn't have done that earlier," he nagged.

     "The idea didn't occur to me until now." Plus, it was the first time that worked. The only meaningful thing Krell taught me. Voice echos weren't easy. My plan worked too well. All the droids assembled on the other side of the room. Gunner pointed to the clear entrance of the mainframe. Sneaking out of here past the droids sounded like a much better plan. I allowed Gunner to take point. We alternated our advancements, lurking around each panel to keep our eyes on the battle droids.

     We made it to the main hallway. If we could find some pipes, we could find a way to escape underground, hit the water main, and arrive back at the ship. Dozens of droids waiting for us by the elevator had a different idea. 

     Gunner began firing as I deflected oncoming bolts. My little party trick drained my Force energy. We wouldn't be getting an epic, dramatic Jedi escape today.

     Gunner leaned in. "This would be a good time for one of those Jedi miracles!"

     "You wanna swing the saber?" I grunted through gritted teeth. We tried backing towards the elevator, but five battle droids flanked us and an additional three to the right of Gunner. I threw my saber, dismantling the three. I spun around to protect my back. Their blasters fired, but they weren't aiming at me. No. Gunner.

✮✮✮✮✮

     The impact threw me to the ground. I cried out from the shock from the burning, stinging pangs.

     "Bryka!"

     I rolled over on my stomach, trying to muster up the strength to get up, but collapsed. Gunner ran to my side, grabbing me off the ground. We made a clear path to the elevator, fried the access panel, and rushed in, barricaded ourselves inside. I pressed my back against the walls, taking to the floor. My heart pounded, each staggered breath shorted. Gunner placed my saber back into my hand.

     "The disk," I seethed. "Take it." Adrenaline worked against me, surging the discomfort. Two shots must have skimmed my arm and my side, but I couldn't pinpoint the pain in my chest. Breathing grew difficult. Miraculously I was still alive, but I knew I couldn't make it to the shuttle. The agonizing, stabbing pain was the only thing keeping me conscious. Get to the shuttle. Leave me. I lacked the strength to speak. He needed to go.

     "Can't you use the Force to heal yourself or something?" He dismayed.

     I bared my teeth. "That's not how the force works." I didn't mean to sound angry, but I just took three shots for him, and he had the gall to ask a stupid question like that?

     "I'm gonna get you out of here." Gunner desperately searched for a way out. There was no use. The only way out of this elevator was through the glass, a dangerously steep hillside awaiting on the other side. But he wasn't stupid enough to try it. He wrapped an arm around me and lifted his blaster to the window. He was stupid enough to try it. The air was suddenly rent by the sound of breaking glass. He shielded me from the shattered fragments and held me tight as we jumped for the hill.

     I yelped as my body slammed against the rocky surface, sending additional shocks of agony up my spine. I didn't think dying would be this painful and drawn out. Gunner was still holding on, scrambling to keep us from rolling any further down the slope. He dragged me behind a boulder and propped me up, and threw off his helmet. His warm gloved hands held the side of my face, holding my head up. My vision began to fade, black spots appearing before me. I couldn't see him. I wanted to see him. With my not-so-good-but-better-than-the-other arm, I pulled the disk from the pouch, forcing it into his hand. "Get out of here, now. That's an order." I sensed his reluctance, his pain. That intel was more important than me. Gunner touched his forehead against mine. He understood the mission. The disk slipped from my grasp. He stood, then left.

     Krell was right. My thoughts mocked me as I lied in the cold dead grass. My loyalty to the Republic was my downfall. But if my sacrifice meant there would be systems safe from the war, lives saved, then it was worth it. At least they would be safe. At least Gunner was safe.