Chapter 8: The Confessions of Krell

AGAMAR SYSTEM 

GENERAL ACRUX

     "So let me get this right," Rook browsed his holopad, rereading the objective. "The Separatists are planning to take control of neutral planets by force, and the intel that provides the list of every potential system and planet is on a holodisk that is currently being held at a Separatist intelligence facility called Lodestar Vault on Agamar?"

     "The Council believes retrieving this information will be detrimental to the Separatist. The Chancellor believes if we can stop these invasions, we will gain these planets' trust, and they will join the Republic." I didn't blame them for not wanting any part in this war. However, if it was true that the Separatists had every intention to invade, it was our duty to protect all lives. 

     Rook yawned. "This task isn't gonna be easy with a whole squad. Stealth or not, we're risking eight men."

     "This mission doesn't sit right with me, but the Chancellor says this information is critical. I propose a two-manned mission. I can retrieve the disk, but I'll need someone to help me infiltrate the base, that way we can be undetected. Low-risk. In and out."   

     "Great, when do we leave," Rook asked. He looked sickly, and the dark purple bags under his eyes weighed him down.

     "Commander, I think you should sit this one out." He threw me a questioning glance. "You aren't in any condition for such a mission. I advise you to rest up for a few days." Rook didn't believe in sleeping, and I hardly ever saw him eat anything. His effort was honorable, but it wasn't healthy for him to do this to himself.

    Rook didn't even protest. He just nodded, agreeing. "So, who do we send with you?" 

     Instantly Colonel Ward barged in. Pearls of sweat gathered against the deep bronze of his skin, polishing his bald head. "General Acrux, we have an incoming shuttle."

     I rolled my eyes and sighed. "Oh, no. Please, no. Not today." Rook mumbled. Rook and Ward had to entertain my Master on his last visit. Rook swore he'd be court-martialed if he had to spend another second with him. And while he wasn't a clone, Ward stated if he had to be in the presence of the Besalisk one more time, he'd throw himself into the vacuum of space.

     "Rook, go get some rest. That's an order. Ward, make contact and tell him to proceed to bay five."

✮✮✮✮✮

     By the time I got to bay five, the shuttle was there, but no Krell. I tried to figure out how I missed him. Finding his force signature wasn't so difficult. I discovered that he headed to the officer's conference room. Typical of him to barge in like he owned the place. 

     The moment I stepped into the room, the air suffocated me. The Force itself grew colder. The towering Besalisk waited for me. The door slide closed behind me.

     "Master Krell, I wasn't expecting you."

     "I've come to give you a warning." Anger in his tone resided.

     I walked further into the room, taking a seat. The fear radiating off of him could be sensed back on Takodana. "Warn me about what?"

     "I've had a vision, and it has offered me clarity and direction." 

     I began bouncing my knee. "Well, isn't that a good thing?" He began to pace around the room, folding his arms behind his back. 

     "There is more at work than you realize. This war is opening up an opportunity for me, but I'm afraid there will be no place for you once it has ended." He waited for me to react.