5. Music stands

Cole

I trudge slowly through the thick snow. My gloved hands are shoved deep into my jacket's pockets, and every breath is exhaled with chattering teeth. Oh the joy of Canadian winters. The campus is more or less empty, for obvious reasons. What idiot would come to campus on a Saturday evening in the middle of a snowstorm just to try and talk to a girl?

This idiot, apparently.

I dust the powdery snow off my hat and sleeves as I enter the music building with a breathe of relief. The warmth envelops me and slowly returns the feeling to my fingers and toes. I take the elevator up to the fifth floor, and of course Mr. Bodyguard is there.

My squeaky and damp footsteps echo as I walk through the empty hall. I can faintly hear piano music coming from the room he's standing in front of.

He turns and raises an eyebrow when he notices me. "You again?"

"Yeah, I wanted to see Melody and apologize for barging in on her last time," I explain.

He looks at me with a mix of confusion and disbelief. "So...you were going to barge in to apologize for barging in?"

"Well when you word it like that it sounds stupid," I grumble. "I just want to talk to her."

His unimpressed expression doesn't budge. "Listen son-"

"Cole."

"Listen Cole, Ms. Aria doesn't want visitors," he states firmly, slightly raising his gruff voice. "I'm asking you to please leave, now."

Who the hell does this guy think he is? "Listen Mr. Bodyguard-"

"Mr. Carter."

"Mr. Carter, I have rights!" I exclaim, "You can't just-"

The door makes a quiet click and slowly creaks open the tiniest bit. I barely manage to see Melody peeking outside. "Yes?" she whispers to me.

"Hi Melody," I greet her cheerfully. She opens the door a bit more and comes out, placing herself strategically behind Mr. Carter. She's barely half his height. "I got you something." I quickly reach into my bag, and take out a latte brown teddy bear. It's holding a pink plush heart with the words I'm beary sorry embroidered in white. Girls love stuff like this, right?

Mr. Carter tries to hold back a laugh, while she looks completely dumbfounded. "Um...what?" she mumbles.

I hand her the bear. She extends her arm as far as she can without having to take a step closer to me. Her hands are small but her fingers are long and elegant, perfect for a pianist. She gingerly holds the bear in her hands and furrows her brows in confusion at it. 

"Get it? Like very sor-"

"Yeah, I got that part..." She looks at me like I'm an idiot. I can't say I'm used to girls giving me that look.

I feel heat rush to my face. Maybe the bear was a bad idea. "I came to apologize... and I was hoping I could get that interview with you," I quickly explain. "Just a short chat, I promise."

"Sorry, but no," she whispers and tries to give the bear back to me.

"Oh no that's yours." I shake my head and give her my best charming grin.

"Um...thanks," she says quietly. To my dismay, she quickly slips back into the room. A moment later, I hear muffled piano music again.

I glance back at Mr. Carter. He's crossed his arms and is frowning at me, staring with piercing dark brown eyes.

I sigh and slowly back away. "Alright, alright, I'm leaving."

-----

Sunday night.