31. Change

Cole

"You're sure about this?" I ask for probably the twentieth time now.

Melody chuckles and nods. "Yeah, I'm sure."

Someone comes over to touch up Melody's makeup. I glance over at the set. It looks like the crew has just finished setting the soundstage up. The amount of cameras, microphones, screens, and crew members look incredibly intimidating. It doesn't seem to phase Melody though. Old habits die hard I guess.

"Nervous?" I ask.

 If anything, I'm probably more nervous than her. I barely got any sleep last night, I stayed up for hours with worried thoughts racing through my mind. If this doesn't work, is Melody just screwed? We just made up, will she go straight back to hating me?

Melody, on the other hand, slept soundly like a log.

"Oddly enough, no. I just want to get this over with." The woman finishes her makeup and Melody hops off the chair. She steps up to me and rests her palms on my chest, smiling shyly. "I'm not scared knowing I'll have you right here with me."

As much as I would like to have full executive control over my body, I still can't help that Melody makes my heart melt into a mushy mess when she says things like that. I'd do anything for her. 

"That's right." I nod and kiss her forehead.

Her PR team comes over and pulls her to the side. They do some quick, last minute preparations, going over everything they've worked on this week. It's not like she really needs it though, Melody could do this in her sleep by this point.

Literally.

I heard Melody talking in her sleep last night, answering imaginary interview questions completely eloquently.

It was a smart move by her mom. Melody's been constantly harassed by the press for a week now, so why not give everyone what they want? Once there's nothing more people want to know, they'll leave her alone - ideally, at least. It's almost comical how eagerly Entertainment Monthly responded when Melody's momager contacted them about an interview.

Someone tells Melody that they're ready. She gives me a quick hug before stepping onto the set. I maneuver my way around, trying my best not to trip over the mountains of cords trailing along the floor. I stop in front of one of the screens displaying the camera shooting Melody's close up.

Mr. Carter comes and stands next to me. "Things are about to change to an extent that I can't even imagine." He looks a bit worried and tense, absentmindedly fidgeting with his watch. We both know this is a bittersweet ending to this part of Melody's life. "What are you two planning to do afterwards?"

"Probably get some lunch."

He rolls his eyes. "You know what I meant, Cole."

Things have been so hectic that Melody and I haven't even had a chance to discuss it. "Maybe we'll do long distance for a bit, then figure out our long-term plans after things have settled down." It doesn't feel great, still having to say goodbye after everything we've been through. "It kind of sucks, but I'm just really happy to be with her, no matter what happens."

I feel heat rush to my face and I internally groan. Things like that just keep slipping out when I'm not focusing on what I'm saying. I have no idea how long it's going to take before I stop cringing at the cheesy things I say about her. Maybe never.

It's worth it though.

A slight grin tugs at the corner of his lips. "As much as you get on my nerves sometimes, I'm glad that she has you, Cole." He looks over at Melody. They're attaching a small microphone to her dress, and the interviewer is getting set up with an earpiece as well. "She's been like a daughter to me since we met."