22. Carmichael - Heart and soul

Melody

"Woah," I murmur as we enter the giant ballroom.

Alpha Delta Pi apparently could afford to book a ballroom at the Fairmont Royal York. We walk through the crowded and noisy room, looking for our table. There are giant chandeliers, floor to ceiling arched windows, and incredibly intricate designs and engravings along the walls. I nearly walk straight into a flower stand as I gaze upwards at the detailed paintings on the ceiling.

Round banquet tables are spread around the room. Each table has an elegant looking flower centerpiece, tealight candles, lavender cloth napkins, and small place cards with names written in gold ink.

Even though that party was an intoxicated blur, I notice as I walk through the ballroom that some faces look familiar. It's hard to believe they're part of the same crowd I saw that night. These people wearing gowns and suits while sipping wine are the same people who I saw taking shots off each other's bodies, half naked. I try to shake the images out of my head as we spot our table.

"Mel!" Alyssa gushes as soon as she sees us come to our table. "I'm so happy you came! You look amazing." Alyssa's long blonde hair is done in a fancy braid with a thin petal-shaped diamond headband draped on top. Her gown is deep red with sparkly little crystals attached to the tulle on the bottom half.

She does a double take at my outfit and somehow immediately recognizes it. "Wait, is that a Carolina Herrera dress?!"

"Who?"

"You don't keep up with fashion huh, cous," she laughs.

I had no idea it was designed by a famous fashion designer - I don't know much about any of the things I'm wearing, in fact. Mom somehow found out about the formal and decided to meddle. Even though I already have several dresses with me from the tour, she sent a stylist, makeup artist, and hairstylist to the apartment.

Alyssa demands for all the details and listens attentively with a wide and excited grin as I describe this morning's chaos. You can imagine my surprise when the entire team showed up unannounced at my door. I felt like an animal being poked and prodded at. 

People are constantly approaching Cole to talk to him. I'll admit, he really does know how to charm people. He's incredibly affable. He makes everyone laugh, and they all seem so comfortable around him. Between all of his friends and Alyssa, the two of us barely get a chance to talk to each other. 

I can't help but sneak a couple glances at him here and there when he isn't looking though. He's wearing a white dress shirt under a navy blue blazer and tie. His messy hair is lightly styled, and I can tell he's wearing a different, slightly stronger smelling cologne. As much as Cole's casual, laid back style suits him, I've learned that I definitely have a weak spot for this style on him. 

A couple of worried looking girls suddenly rush up to Alyssa. "Alyssa!" one of them exclaims. "Big problem, the ice sculpture is melting!"

I remember seeing it by the entrance. A giant sculpture of the symbols, "ΑΔΠ" carved out of ice, with "ΚΣ" attached to the side like an afterthought. It's sitting in the center of a fountain with colored lights shining behind it to make it look like it's glowing.

"Seriously?" Alyssa groans and stands up. "Sorry Mel, presidential duty calls! Let's talk later, ok?"

I don't get a single word out before she quickly dashes away with them. I turn to Cole and furrow my brows. "Isn't your fraternity co-hosting this event? You're the vice president, shouldn't you be helping?"

"We learned the hard way to not get in ADPi's way." He shudders as he recalls, looking like someone having war flashbacks. "We actually came last night for some setup. There was a lot of yelling and arguing, and the girls kicked us out."