28. Aria - Op. 1 No.1

Melody

I take one last glance at the bedroom. My home away from home for over a month. It flew by, but the past thirty six hours have felt agonizingly slow. Sighing, I turn off the lights and wheel my heavy suitcase down the hall. I never really did tour the apartment properly. It's not much of a catastrophic realization though, I couldn't really care less about it. 

Mr. Carter is waiting by the front door and talking to someone on the phone. He finishes the call once I get there.

"Ready, Ms. Aria?"

I nod wordlessly, and he takes our luggage. Down the familiar hall to the elevator, through the familiar parking lot, driving through the familiar streets.

Wait.

Too familiar.

"Mr. Carter? This isn't the way to the airport." I furrow my brows and study the buildings passing by. My mouth drops open when I realize. "You're driving me to Cole, aren't you?" I gasp. I've never felt so betrayed by Mr. Carter.

He looks at me sheepishly through the rearview mirror. "Ms. Aria, you have to understand-"

"I will fire you on the spot if you don't take us to the airport, now," I snap. I immediately regret my words when I see his hurt expression. "I-I'm sorry Mr. Carter, I didn't mean that." 

He sighs and runs his hand through his wavy hair. "I always have your best interests in mind, Ms. Aria, you know that. Please trust me on this one."

Why is he being so cryptic? "Can't you tell me what's happening?"

"Well," he says and grits his teeth, hesitating, "I can't. Cole told me not to."

I groan and slump back against my seat. "Fine, but don't forget that our flight is in an hour."

-----

As soon as we step out of the university's parking lot, I'm blinded by flashing lights. Squinting, I'm able to make out around ten people, some with cameras, others with microphones. Campus security is trying but failing to get the paparazzi off the property. I completely forgot that Cole mentioned I had been visiting U of M in the interview.

They begin shouting questions at me.

"Melody? Is it true that you were hiding because you were pregnant?"

"Melody? Was Cole a fan? Is he dating you to become famous?"

"Melody? Is it true you had plastic surgery?"

I feel sick to my stomach. This is a living nightmare, I want the ground to open up and swallow me whole. I cower behind Mr. Carter as he pushes through the paparazzi and keeps a firm hold on me.

We finally get through the crowd, and campus security manages to keep them from getting any further into campus. "Are you alright Ms. Aria?" Mr. Carter asks once we're out of sight of the paparazzi. I try to hold back tears as I nod. Is this my life now?

We enter the familiar music building. It feels like I haven't been here in forever, though it's only been a few weeks. Time is relative I suppose. My heart begins to pound as the elevator goes up. What am I even doing here? What does he want? 

"I'll be out here," Mr. Carter whispers to me as we reach the room.

I slowly reach for the door. My hand rests on the cold metal doorknob and I take a deep breath before twisting it and pushing it open.

Despite it all, my stupid heart skips a stupid beat when my eyes land on Cole.

My heart wants to forgive him. It reminds me of every soft and fuzzy feeling he gave me. The way he warmed and melted my frozen heart. I thought I was broken after everything I've gone through, but he showed me that I wasn't just a piano-playing robot.