13. Anonymity

Cole

"Here Mark." I hand him a red solo cup of beer before filling mine from the keg. Cheap, college-student quality beer, but hey, what are you gonna do when you're nineteen and broke?

I turn back to the group, listening to Tiffany animatedly telling us about the sorority formal Alpha Delta Pi is hosting. It's almost comical how excited she is about tablecloths, flowers, and balloon arches. Girls. 

"Oh Cole, I almost forgot!" She excitedly turns to me. "Would Kappa Sigma want to combine formals?"

"Huh?" I'll admit I was only half paying attention to her rambling.

"You're vice president, aren't you? We could have one big formal!" She clasps her hands together. "There are so many couples between us that it'd pretty much be the same people attending two separate events anyways."

That's a surprisingly...logical idea for Tiffany. Maybe I shouldn't underestimate her so much. I still remember my reaction when I found out she was an engineering major. "Yeah, sure," I chuckle. Thank God, it looks like that problem is solved. I quickly stop her before she can start talking my ear off about logistics. "Chris is our event chair, how about we find him and you two can discuss this?"

She cheerfully nods and we walk through the house, looking for the 6'6" blonde who tends to stick out from the crowd. We squeeze through crowded hallways and people packed together in tight groups. The voices of peppy, excited girls blend with the deep laughs of guys egging each other on to do questionable things. Freshmen who haven't learned their limits yet are passed out on the sofas, while their friends are either taking care of them or messing with them. I'm guilty of doing the latter.

"Tiffany!" A group of girls squeal as we walk by the living room.

"One sec Cole, wait up for me," Tiffany says before excitedly chatting with the group. I take a couple steps away and lean against the wall in the much calmer hallway. I absentmindedly scroll through my phone, but a familiar voice piques my attention.

I hear a soft murmur, "Mm n-no..."

I furrow my brows and look up. I can't really make out faces in the dim lighting, but the soft, high pitched voice is definitely familiar.

"My car's parked out front."

That definitely sounds like Chris' deep, assertive voice. I wave to Tiffany and she comes over. "I think I heard Chris, he's somewhere nearby."

We split up and scan the room. It isn't long before I spot Chris, the back of him at least. He's walking towards the front door with his hand on the lower back of a girl stumbling along with him. I quickly catch up to them.

"W-wait n-no." I hear the same soft murmur come from the girl.

"Hey Chris?"

They turn around.

Mel? There's dazed confusion written all over her face.

He smirks when he sees me. "Oh hey Cole, I was just heading out." He slightly tilts his head towards her and winks.

"I think she said no." I narrow my eyes at him, feeling my body begin to heat up.

He raises an eyebrow. "Hey chill, I wasn't gonna do anything man." He places his arm back around Melody and starts to pull her away. "Come on Melody, let's go."

"Stop," I growl and quickly take her arm. Unfortunately, her balance is much worse than I expected, and her tiny body collapses against mine with a surprised squeak. "Oh shit." I do my best to steady her on her ridiculously tall heels.