12. Chapter 12 Schumann - Kinderszenen, Op. 15 No. 7

Melody

"So, I heard you and Cole were on a date this morning." Even in the dim lighting coming from streetlamps and passing cars, I can see the giant grin on Alyssa's face.

"It wasn't a date." I frown at her. "How did you even know we were out together?"

"I'm a sorority president, I know people," she laughs. "The server was one of my sisters, we tell each other everything. She said she saw Cole with a quiet, blonde girl who seemed to have a bodyguard following her."

"You're already making me regret agreeing to this and we haven't even left the car yet." I'm still amazed she managed to convince Mr. Carter to let her bring me alone tonight. 

She chuckles and shakes her head. "Regardless, it's really nice to see you like this, Mel. You know, finally unafraid to go out and socialize with people. I'm super proud." We stop at a red light and she turns towards me to give me a quick smile. I see the sympathy in her eyes though. "But yeah, growing up is hard, I'm sure even more so for you. You were pushed to be an adult so much earlier than everyone else."

I suppose things have been changing, although I wouldn't go as far as calling myself completely unafraid.

I've been told I dress, speak, and act much more maturely for my age for as long as I can remember. It was how I was raised ever since mom took over. I've been treated like an adult for years now, but on the inside, I'm still a scared and lost nineteen year old girl who doesn't feel like an adult whatsoever.

Alyssa glances over again and notices my expression. I don't even need to say anything for her to understand what I'm thinking. One of the many benefits of growing up practically attached at the hip. I see the look of realization slowly appear on her face and her tone softens. "But... you're not really one. You're still mentally and emotionally entering adulthood with the rest of us, huh."

I nod and fidget with my fingers as the sinking pit in my stomach grows deeper and deeper. "This isn't an ideal conversation for the night of a party," I awkwardly laugh and force a smile onto my face. This isn't an ideal conversation topic for me, ever. "Let's just keep things light."

Alyssa hesitates but gives me a small nod. "Yeah, ok. You can call me to talk whenever you need to, Mel. You know that, right?"

"Of course. Thanks Liss."

Despite her wild and effervescent personality, Alyssa can be incredibly kind and sweet. Fiercely protective and unafraid to get in someone's face, she's the one who'll do everything in her power to make sure the ones she cares about are ok. Even as we were beginning to drift apart, she would stay on the phone with me for hours when I was distraught about the craziness and stress that came with my life.

I adjust the neckline and hem of my uncomfortable dress - Alyssa's dress actually. It's short and tight and not my thing. It's been either formal dresses for performances and media appearances, or very casual clothes with no in between for most of my life. She somehow convinced me to let her choose my outfit and do my makeup for tonight. It reminded me of playing dress up with my mom's fancy clothes and makeup when we were little.

I take a peek at myself in the sun visor's mirror. Her makeup skills have definitely come a long way since we were kids though. I've seen the way she can make herself practically look like a completely different person. My only condition when I agreed was that I still had to look like myself. 

"Do you mind?" I point towards the tablet on the dashboard that controls the music - along with many other things in her unnecessarily nice car. Being the youngest child, Alyssa's parents have always spoiled her. Luckily, her personality doesn't reflect on that.