Bonus Chapter - Commitment

"Daaaaad?"

I hear Brooke's voice and quick footsteps echoing up and down the halls. I've been telling Melody for years that the penthouse is too big for a family of three, but she insists that there are too many memories here to move.

"I'm in my office, honey," I call back.

Within seconds, Brooke enters the room. She drops her backpack onto the floor and flops onto the sofa. Her pale blonde hair is still damp and I can smell the faint scent of chlorine all the way from my desk.

I check my phone and raise a brow. "What are you doing home so early? Doesn't practice end at five?"

She sighs and rolls her eyes. "I wanna quit, swimming isn't fun anymore," she groans and sinks further into the sofa, resting her feet on my new wooden coffee table.

"Feet off the table," I say sternly.

Brooke gives me an innocent grin and sits back up. "Anyways, I just need you to sign this form so I can quit." She digs through her bag and takes out a crumpled yellow form.

I frown as she places it on my desk and looks at me expectantly. She's almost filled the entire form herself already, the only thing left is a blank line for a parent's signature.

I tiredly drag my hand down my face. "Let me talk to mom about this first after she gets home from work." Although I'm sure I already know how that's going to go.

She shakes her head. "No need. I texted her on my way home and she said it's fine."

I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose. "Still, we're going to talk about this later. Go do your homework."

-----

"You've raised an eight year old princess," I grumble as Melody comes into the room.

"Well hello to you too," she chuckles as she sits down at her vanity and begins removing her jewelry. "What are you talking about?"

"You're way too easy on her."

I never in a million years thought that I'd end up being the stricter parent between the two of us. It's been like this ever since Brooke learned to talk.

Melody briefly glances at me in the mirror and shrugs. "I disagree. I just don't want to pressure her into doing things she doesn't want to do."

"That's the understatement of the century and you know it," I groan.

Since Brooke was four, she's quit ballet, soccer, gymnastics, violin, clarinet, pottery, painting, and now swimming - all after less than a couple months.

Melody's lip pulls into a tight line and she's silent for a bit.

I lightly tap the space next to me on the sofa. She comes over and sits down with a sigh. "I just... don't want to be like my mom, you know?" she says softly and rests her head against my shoulder.

"I understand, of course," I reassure her. I place my arm around her and gently stroke her shoulder with my thumb. "But you're taking it too far, Mel. She needs to be held accountable for at least some things in her life."

Melody nods slightly. "Let's talk to her tonight."

-----

"I hate you!"

Melody winces as we hear Brooke's muffled shout after she's slammed her bedroom door behind her.

"Where did she get that attitude from?" Melody groans and buries her face into my chest.