8. Beethoven - Bagatelle No. 25 in A Minor

Melody

"Good morning," I say softly as I peek into the room. Mr. Carter checks to make sure Cole is the only one in the room before taking a seat outside.

I take a couple of apprehensive steps into the room, taking deep breaths to try and calm the jitters in my body. I still have no clue as to where the sudden confidence came from last night, but there's no turning back now.

Cole looks up from his laptop and gives me a wave. I feel the tension in my rigid muscles start to relax when he gives me a cheerful grin. He's wearing a navy blue Henley shirt with the sleeves rolled up, exposing part of a strange looking tattoo along his forearm. His light brown hair is softly tousled and slightly shiny where the sunlight catches it. I quickly clear my throat and walk over to the piano when I realize I'm staring.

"Morning Melody, I got you some coffee." He points towards a disposable red cup on the table. It seems to be the only type of cup I've seen students around campus carry. Do all Canadians only drink coffee from Tim Hortons? "I wasn't sure how you take your coffee though, so I just got a double double."

I furrow my brows in confusion. "Thank you, but... I don't know what that means."

He chuckles. "It's a term we use for two sugars, two creams."

"Ah. I prefer black with a shot of espresso, but thank you." I pick up the warm cup. It's alright, a bit too sweet but acceptable.

He puts his laptop away and follows me over to the piano. "I'm honestly kind of surprised you actually showed up."

I quirk a brow. "Why?"

He tucks his hands into his pockets and looks at me apologetically. "I've sort of been trying to pressure you into cooperating since the first time we met. I don't want you to feel obligated to do something because of that."

That's strangely mature of him. "Did you come to that realization on your own?" Somehow, I'm doubtful.

He stares at the floor while shifting his weight back and forth. "Well, the girls from the newspaper might've given me an earful after they found out."

I laugh dryly. That sounds about right. "Don't flatter yourself too much, Cole. I came here on my own accord, same with last night." I wouldn't be caught dead doing something so foolish and ill-advised. Mr. Carter raised me to be an independent young lady who would never be pushed around by a boy like that. I reach to give his arm a light pat. "I appreciate the sentiment though." 

He pouts a little but I can see the twinkle of amusement in his eyes. "Alright, good to know." He sits down on the piano bench and looks up at me expectantly. "Shall we begin?"

I take a seat next to Cole on the bench. There's a faint scent of body spray. It's not like the heavy expensive cologne I'm used to smelling on most musicians I've met. It's more mellow and welcoming, I like it. 

"How about we start with scales?"

"Sure." Cole cracks his knuckles and hovers his hands over the keys.

"C major."

He quickly places his hands down at the middle of the keyboard and plays the scale, nice and easy.

"G major."

He stares at me blankly. "Uh, where's G again?"

By the time the hour is over, we've labeled most of the keys on the pianos with neon sticky notes. Written on each is the corresponding key. It looks a little ridiculous, but it's quite effective. My piano teacher did the same with me when I was little.