21. Academy

Cole

"No, it sounds muddy if you hold it down that long." I scoot over so Melody can demonstrate how to use the pedals again. It sounds so smooth and harmonious when she does it, while it sounds like a group of feral cats are running across the keys when I do it. "Press the pedal down right after you press on the keys, then let go after the chord finishes."

I try again. My foot apparently doesn't want to cooperate with my hands, and they go out of sync after a couple bars. 

"There are too many things to focus on simultaneously," I groan.

"You don't have to focus on it that much, it's also just intuition," she adds.

"Mel," I whine, "I don't have the same kind of intuition you do. Literally no one does besides the top pianists in the world." I try not to forget that I should be grateful. I'm sure most pianists would kill for the opportunity to have private lessons taught by Melody.

She laughs and lightly nudges me. "I'll take that as a compliment. I think we're done for today."

I help shut the piano and follow her over to the sofa. Before we've even finished debating over what show to watch, Mr. Carter steps into the living room. "Ms. Aria? The movers are here."

Two large guys wearing ripped, dusty blue jeans and orange t-shirts with some moving company's logo on the back walk in. They're pushing a small flatbed cart towards the piano.

"I'm donating the piano," Melody explains to me, "I never even meant to buy it and can't keep it."

I feel my stomach sink. I've been having so much fun with Melody that I'd forgotten that this couldn't last, it was never going to. She's not staying in Toronto, she needs to go home and move on with her life. I'm going to have to move on with my life. The idea of her leaving and never getting to see her again is practically unimaginable.

This was just a break for her. A time to do whatever and relax. Was I just another project for her to work on? I wish I could talk to her about it, but what am I supposed to say? Please don't leave, stay here instead. I refuse to sound that desperate to anyone.

She's an incredibly talented world famous musician. Why would she ever do that for some guy she's known for a month?

As much as I hate to admit it, I've developed some... feelings for her. Acknowledging that makes me feel like a goddamn lovesick, teenage girl.

"Hey," Melody whispers, lightly touching my arm. She looks up at me with wide and concerned eyes. "You ok? You looked kind of out of it."

"Oh, uh yeah." I nod quickly. "I was just thinking about how I'm going to miss our piano sessions."

"Aw me too," she says, lightly squeezing my arm. "We can still practice on campus though."

Not exactly the same, but at this point, I'll take what I can get. "Do you think we could, uh," I try to keep my tone casual but I know my emotions are probably showing already. "Talk? About... you know-"

She clears her throat and checks her phone. "I um, don't have time," she mumbles, looking at me but not meeting my eyes. "Mr. Carter and I were going to go to the music school to meet the lady in charge there."

I wish I could read her expression, but it's clear she's spent most of her life learning to keep herself poised. A graceful pianist, avoiding any actions that would draw too much attention to her when she retreated from the public eye. If she really wants to hide how she's feeling, there's definitely no way I'd be able to see through her perfectly controlled guise.