29. Done

Cole

Melody turns on the electric fire pit before plopping herself back onto the sofa next to me. The space heaters all over the balcony keep it so warm you'd never think it was the middle of the winter in Canada. I wrap the soft fleece blanket around us, and she snuggles close against my side. She's so warm and soft, and her hair tickles my cheek as she nuzzles against my shoulder.

The night is cool and quiet. I watch the flickering orange flames send dancing shadows across the balcony. It's been a crazy day and I barely have enough energy to stay awake, but everything somehow feels right. I have no idea what's coming next, but for now, even if it's just for a moment, I can say I feel happy.

"Here you go." Mr. Carter comes out onto the balcony with a tray holding two cups of tea. "Extra strong, as you asked for, Cole." 

"Thanks." I take the pale grey mug.

"Thank you Mr. Carter," Melody says as she takes her cup, "and thank you for what you did today. We really owe everything to you." She gives him a kind smile.

We sure do. Mr. Carter is pretty much the wingman to end all wingmen.

"My pleasure. Like I said, I always have your best interests in mind, Ms. Aria," he says softly. "I will be heading to bed now, enjoy the rest of your night you two."

We both say goodnight as he returns inside the apartment. I take a sip of the tea, I think Melody said it was Assam tea? I've always been more of a coffee than tea guy. Who thought hot leaf water sounded appealing?

I watch Melody gently blow on the steaming tea before taking a little sip. "How is it?" She asks and glances up at me.

"Strong," I clear my throat a little. 

Maybe extra strong wasn't necessary. There's coffee coursing through my veins at this point. Cara and I definitely needed it though, learning that song was no joke. What's the fatal amount of caffeine again?

She chuckles and places the cup down on a pink coaster, I do the same. "So, what happens next?" I ask. 

She stares blankly at the fire. "I have no idea." She shrugs and sighs. "The logistics might be a pain in the butt for everyone, but I could continue working from Toronto."

It's clear by the way she's fidgeting with her thumbs and chewing on her lip that she doesn't like the idea. "Every choice you make has a big effect, eh?" She has a whole team of staff and business partners. I can't imagine the weight she's always carrying on her shoulders. I wrap an arm around her and gently stroke her side.

"Sometimes I like to imagine a life without piano," she murmurs to seemingly no one in particular. "Everything would be so much easier."

I nod wordlessly, not wanting to interrupt her.

"Growing up was tough, it took so much work to get here. The countless hours and hours of practice. Sleepless nights I spent sitting on that bench, playing till the sun came back up again," she whispers, her voice gets quieter and quieter as she speaks. "Cramped fingers, nearly giving myself carpal tunnel. Sacrificing my social life and free time."

Melody's abilities are just incredible, I'm constantly forgetting we're the same age. She's miles ahead of what I'd ever be able to accomplish. "I can't even begin to imagine the amount of discipline and effort you put in," I murmur. "It paid off though...right? You've been so successful."

She looks up at me with teary eyes. "Did it? When I look back at my childhood, I realize piano is all there ever was. I missed out on so much." Her voice cracks a little and she quickly wipes away a stray tear on her cheek. She takes a deep and shaky breath before continuing. "It got me here... I've gotten to perform in front of thousands of people, been broadcasted over every form of media, released my own pieces, but who cares? Was this even worth it?"