Epilogue

Melody

1 year later

From the corner of my eye, I can see Cole shuffling restlessly in his chair by the door. I swear he has the patience of a child sometimes. I roll my eyes, what a baby. The lawyer, a man with grey hair probably only a few years from retirement, passes another document from a seemingly endless stack to Lauren and I across the table. We each sign it and hand it back.

"Well, that's finally everything." He grins and shuts the folder. "I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors."

I sigh in relief and we all shake hands. "I'm sure you'll be excellent Melody," Lauren says to me with a kind smile. "I'll be able to enjoy my retirement knowing Cristofori Music is in good hands."

"Thank you, I appreciate that." My stomach is fluttering with a flock of excited butterflies. A whole new chapter in my life is beginning. That last chapter was painfully long.

Cole eagerly gets up and follows me out of the office. "I can't believe you just bought a company," he mutters, shaking his head. "You're a twenty year old CEO Mel."

I chuckle. "It's kind of nuts isn't it." 

It was depressing that night, seeing the poor state of the piano department in such a highly acclaimed music organization. Even after teaching there for a few months, I knew it wasn't enough - I knew I could do more. With Lauren retiring, it seemed like the perfect opportunity had just fallen into my lap. I'd consider it to be the most ambitious thing I've ever done, which is saying quite a lot.

I check my phone at the sound of a text. "C'mon let's hurry, Mr. Carter said he just got to the restaurant."

-----

A friendly host greets us and leads us to a table out on the patio. "Hi Mr. Carter!" I grin as we sit down. He's wearing a white polo and pale khakis. It's still a bit strange seeing him out in public dressed in casual clothes.

He smiles and shakes his head. "How many times do I have to tell you, you can just call me Wyatt now?" 

I wrinkle my nose. "No thank you. That's like my mom telling me to call her Christine," I tease. "Now, how's my favourite little goddaughter?" I gush, taking the tiny hand of the babbling baby sitting in the high chair. "Can I hold her?"

Mr. Carter nods. I carefully unbuckle her and hold the soft little baby against my chest. She tugs on my necklace and looks up at me with her big round eyes. I can't get over how adorable she is, she's even wearing the pastel yellow onesie with a duck pattern that I bought for her.

"Megan's your only goddaughter Mel," Cole chuckles. "How have you been Mr. Carter?"

Mr. Carter tiredly runs his hand through his hair. "I haven't slept properly in months," he grumbles.

I never thought I'd see Mr. Carter as a dad, but hey, here he is. Now with a three month old daughter and a fiancée he met at work.

"How's the new job going by the way?" Cole asks.

Since people left me alone pretty soon after the interview, I didn't need a bodyguard anymore. Thanks to her connections, mom was able to get Mr. Carter a new security guard position almost immediately. Now he's working as the security guard for the Premier's eleven year old twins.

"It's been...interesting," he says with a slight smile. "Alan actually reminds me of you Ms. Aria. Shy, well-behaved, and kind."

I chuckle. "And the other one?"