9. Recognized

Cole

Melody immediately clings tightly to my arm. Her fingers are skinny but surprisingly strong, it feels as if my arm is being stabbed by five pointy sticks.

Crowded around the doorway are a bunch of teenagers. Excited smiles adorn most of their faces as some of them begin taking out their phones to take pictures. A sudden, unexplained urge to protect Melody comes over me, and I take a defensive step in front of her. I can feel her shaky breath as she lightly presses her front against my back, probably just barely peeking at the scene over my shoulder.

A girl wearing a bright orange t-shirt and carrying a tall, tiny flag is standing to the side. I can just make out, "University of Markham Tours" printed on her shirt and flag. I see these groups around campus in the evening all the time, usually high schoolers and their parents.

"Oh hello! Sorry, I didn't realize someone would be in here." The girl gives me a bright smile. I don't trust someone who looks that cheery at seven thirty in the morning. "I was just giving a tour of the music building to these high school seniors. Isn't it awesome everyone?"

I raise an eyebrow. "Shouldn't they be in school right now?"

She giggles. "They have signed permission. We're doing tours for future undergrad students today! These are all students with early admission to U of M's music program."

I can just barely make out the quiet murmuring from people I can't see in the group.

"Are you sure that's her?"

"Duh, she's standing right next to a piano."

"Hi Melody! I'm such a huge fan!" an excited looking redhead standing at the front of the group gushes. "I started playing piano because of you!"

"Me too!" a girl with blue hair and round glasses exclaims, pushing through to the front.

"She's cute." I hear the voice of someone out of view murmur.

"Cole," Melody whimpers in the quietest and most terrified voice I've ever heard from her. I feel her grip on my shoulder tighten.

My chest suddenly feels heavy and my heart pounds, making it difficult to breathe as I desperately try to figure out what to do. I don't exactly know how to handle this - I can't say I've been used as a human meat shield before.

I clear my throat and channel my inner Mr. Carter. "Hey sorry, but we were in the middle of something. Would you mind leaving us alone?" 

"Can we meet Melody first?" The redhead looks at me hopefully with wide, sparkly eyes. They begin slowly entering the room like a pack of lions cornering their prey.

"Sorry but no." I try to sound calm but these kids are starting to get on my nerves. "Melody doesn't want any visitors right now." I have the strangest sense of déjà vu as I say that.

They scowl at me like I'm the bad guy. The blue haired girl crosses her arms. "And you are...?"

I cross my arms too. "That's none of your business. Please just leave her alone," I snap, feeling anger begin to boil inside me.

The tour guide's cheery smile has faded. I look at her expectantly and give her my best get the hell out of here, look. Her eyes dart back and forth from me to the kids nervously, clearly torn over respecting our privacy and giving these kids an awesome tour.

"Err c'mon everyone, let's keep going." They ignore her meek voice and continue inching closer towards us.

"Just like, one picture? I need it for my Instagram," one of them whines. Kids these days. I'm having an incredibly difficult time not cussing them out, I'm trying to keep things calm for Melody's sake. If it was just me here, these bratty kids would be running for the hills by this point.