20. Joplin - The Entertainer

Melody

I plop the bag of takeout boxes onto the dining room table. After carefully arranging the open boxes onto the table like a giant jigsaw puzzle, we're left with a very wide and colorful array of sushi staring back at us. We couldn't decide on what we wanted and ended up ordering some of everything on the menu.

I break the wooden chopsticks apart and rub the splinters off. I notice in my peripheral vision that Alyssa is staring at me very intently, and I immediately recognize the look. A devilish grin when she's figured out a secret and is ready to expose it.

I look at her warily. "Yeah?"

She rests her chin on her palms and leans closer to me. "So, does Cole come here often?" Her voice is deceptively calm and cool - I can see right through it though.

I know she's going to jump to conclusions if I say yes. "No, why would he?"

She smirks and tilts her chin towards the chair at the end of the table. "I don't suppose that's your hoodie?" 

I feel myself blush. Draped over the chair is a red hoodie with Kappa Sigma printed on the front. Cole must've left it here the other day. We had Indian food for dinner. He couldn't handle the heat and had to take it off mid-meal. I told him to order mild, but mild is for babies, according to him.

"It's not what you think," I groan. "I've just been teaching him how to play the piano. That's it."

"Mhm," she hums with a cheery smile, "and why aren't you teaching tonight?"

"He's busy tonight. He said it's a fraternity thing." I shrug.

"Or, perhaps we could entertain the thought that Cole decided he isn't cut out to be a pianist." We hear Mr. Carter chuckle as he walks by the dining room.

I crumple up the chopstick's paper wrapper into a ball and playfully toss it at Mr. Carter. As much as Mr. Carter has been trying to tolerate Cole, and as nice as Cole has been trying to be to Mr. Carter, I can tell the two of them still get on each other's nerves. "Ha ha, very funny." I wave him towards the room and hand him a plate and a pair of chopsticks. "Take some, we ordered way too much."

Alyssa furrows her brows and checks her phone. "There's nothing happening tonight. I would know, all of the sorority and fraternity presidents are in a group chat together." She quickly begins texting. I don't know how she handles the way her long acrylic nails click loudly against her screen. "Let me text Luke."

I feel a sinking feeling in my stomach. I know Cole has no obligation to tell me about his plans. We're just friends, friends don't keep tabs on each other like that. I can't help but feel a little hurt though, that he would lie about why he can't spend time together.

Alyssa snickers as she puts her phone down. "Alright, let's head out after we finish eating, this is something I have to see."

-----

We push the door open the slightest bit, just enough to be able to peek through a tiny crack. The community centre's gymnasium is filled with little kids, I doubt any of them are older than eight, bouncing around basketballs.

In the center of the gym, trying to break apart a fight going on between two little boys, is Cole. I quickly place my hand over Alyssa's mouth to muffle her laughter.

I vaguely remember Cole telling me about playing basketball before, but this is definitely not what I was expecting. I watch as he shows a little girl with curly black hair how to dribble the ball. She takes a bit to get a good rhythm going, and Cole cheerfully bends down to give her a high five once she gets the hang of it. I feel a warm, fuzzy feeling in my chest. It's admittedly pretty adorable.