Mad Hatter

"Tell the psychiatrist, something is wrong..."

It was June.

And there was a butterfly, bright blue with dark blue stripes and splotches. It looked like someone had dropped dark blue watercolor strategically on the large wings.

It beat in front of his face before fluttering away to join the other fairies in the sky. His mother had once told him that all things that had wings were magical. Even the beetles that would fly way too close and cause him to panic and shriek.

She told him that they were magical, so he shouldn't hurt them.

She said that everything had beauty in it, if only people would just pause and look for it.

The butterfly looked ethereal.

It illuminated his life and was the sole thing in his world for a few moments, as it is in a child's world.

But it wasn't just the butterfly that stuck out.

It was his best friend.

The blonde demon, as his mother affectionately dubbed him, had come crashing into Izuku's life like in "Lilo and Stitch." Izuku knew from the moment he saw Katsuki Bakugou that this male was going to be a part of him, as a heart and soul.

Izuku's father once told him that he and Katsuki weren't just friends or even best friends, but that they were soulmates. His father told him that he could tell they would never let go of each other.

It was that hot day in June when Katsuki Bakugou, his Kacchan, was surrounded by the blue butterflies, that Izuku came to a revelation.

The way his usual loud and brash playmate was completely calm and silent. The way that his face just relaxed completely, and he held his hand out to reach for a pixie. The way he turned to Izuku and just smiled completely at peace.

It was the smile.

That was the day that Izuku fell in love.

Izuku was only four, so he did not quite have a word for the feeling that burst inside him.

He felt so warm, and not by the sun. He felt warm all over inside his body, the type that made you shiver in appreciation before practically melting into the feeling of just being safe.

It's funny how things are never appreciated until they're ripped away.

Izuku woke up numb.

He turned to his head to the left to look at the woman pressed into his chest, and he smiled a little.

Izuku was happy.

And Izuku didn't think about him.

He turned and canceled the alarm clock, his wife deserved to sleep in after a long night out with friends.

He couldn't make it of course.

He could never make anything.

If Izuku went he'd be painfully reminded of him.