Final Straw (Part 2)

Concept: After you made your exit, things were steady and things were good... for a time. Then they all went crashing into dust. But an opportunity arises to see the one person you've wanted to see since everything went to hell.

Everything was empty as you walked the streets of Mystic Falls for the first time in over a year since you'd finally left and gotten away from the constant heartache and problems that seemed to come with living the life you were. Your sole reason for returning before was to spend some time with Damon yet you'd somehow allowed your life to be consumed by the one goal of protecting sweet Elena Gilbert, a quest you took on to ensure Damon's happiness which ended in you losing everything you'd built up in your lifetime, including yourself. You'd never quite come back from the happenings of the year before, from the amount of grieving you felt and the amount of days you spent solving problems that weren't yours to solve.

So, as you walked through the streets, fingers grazing the metal fence as you walked by, you couldn't help but sigh deeply as you remembered it all, the sigh more of a relieved breath as to the fact you no longer had to deal with that stuff anymore. After leaving, your life had settled down just the perfect amount; you kept yourself on the road long enough to see new places such as Los Angeles and Seattle, partying and making temporary friends along the way but the problems you'd faced pertaining to those of the supernatural kinds that lurked among society, they'd become nullified. And you had never felt better. The only thing that could've possibly made it better was for Damon to have been there, he would've directed you to many things that you missed out on. Alas, at this point, it didn't really matter. Your tour of America was over.

Your feet took you to the Salvatore house, despite you not even being sure if this was the route you wanted to take. You hadn't had time to think it over as the circumstances which granted you this opportunity came so suddenly that you couldn't waste even the few seconds it would take you to consider. But, yet, you stood there, feet rooted firmly in place as you stood at the end of the driveway, unsure as to whether you should near the house or just maintain your distance. You'd solely come to check on Damon, make sure he was okay and hanging in there. You knew the whole trouble with vampires thing hadn't worn down in the slightest since you left which was holding off your whole 'I'll see you when it all calms down' shtick that you'd told him before you'd left. One after another, problems still seemed to arise without fail and, through it all, his head remained fixated on one thing and one thing only: protect Elena. It was hard to hear about when you were told but you expected no less of him. Damon's commitment was one that would go to lengths like no other's and you knew that that wouldn't change in the time you were gone. As invasive as it may seem, a few months into your leave, you'd enlisted the help of another vampire who had frequent business in Mystic falls to check in on him, make sure that he wasn't crumbling too much. You needed distance but if anything got too bad you were more than willing to go charging back in there as soon as you could.

"Y/N?" A guy's voice came from behind you, voice taken aback and confused. You turned, knowing who it must be immediately.

"Little Gilbert. How've you been?" You smiled at him softly as his face contorted in some sort of shock as he looked at you, little mind working away.

"How've you been? Where have you been? You completely dropped off the radar. We were worried sick." He explained taking a few quick steps closer to you, eyes never once leaving your face.

Before the whole leaving thing, you'd felt a strong need to protect Jeremy as he'd reminded you of your own younger brother, dragged into this troublesome life for reasons that pertained to their older siblings. The reminder of the guilt you felt for bringing your little brother's life into the world of supernatural caused you to step up your game when it came to Jeremy's safety too.