Solidarity

Concept: No one gets Stefan or why he would decide to become a ripper again, but who better than another ripper?

Stefan was gone.

Elena had come to terms with the fact that whatever Klaus did to him wasn't going to change. He was just gone, and frankly, she was pretty close to giving up on him entirely. She would rather he be out of her life forever than be what he was right now.

She hated how he'd been acting and couldn't be around him anymore. However, someone had to talk some sense into him and if she and Damon couldn't do it, there was only one other person who could try.

You.

The only solution that Damon could think up in that regard was getting in touch with you, Stefan's oldest friend. An old friend that neither of them had seen in a very long time.

The two of you were complete and total strangers at this point as you hadn't talked to either Salvatore boys in over fifty years. Though, there was nothing time could do to ease the bond that you had shared all those years ago.

You and Stefan had always been inseparable, and that kind of history never really went away.

...Or at least, that's what Damon was counting on. No one could understand a ripper like a ripper.

Which was where you came in.

More than the history between the two of you, Damon figured that the fact that you'd been a ripper for quite some time wasn't going to hurt either. You could relate to him in a way that no one else could, because you were in the same state.

You could relate to what he was.

Now, you were shocked that Damon would reach out to you. As thrilled as you were to get his call, it just didn't make any sense at first. You hadn't talked to either of the Salvatore boys in a while, but it was always nice to catch up with an old friend.

Though, something told you that this call wasn't for catch up purposes. Even from the very first word, you could immediately tell there was something off.

"What's wrong? You sound grumpy" you wondered, keeping track of the ebbs and flows of his tone. That was one thing about Damon you had always appreciated, he was so easy to read, he always had been.

While you took vampirism as a viable excuse to never deal with messy human emotions again, Damon was just less affected by them in the first place. Still, when he did get upset, there was no hiding it. He was just the kind of person who wore his emotions on his sleeve.

Even now, you could hear it, even in his breath. "He turned it off, I need your help" he allowed, that depth still there in his voice. He was really shaken up but at least you knew why.

Stefan seemed to have finally joined the party.

Personally, you had been a ripper since the forties, at which point you decided that you were done worrying about all the pain and suffering that humanity could cause. Being a vampire meant that you didn't have to feel it, and what kind of absolute idiot would choose all that pain if they didn't have to.

It was a gift, and you had chosen to use it to its fullest.

"I knew it was only a matter of time before he'd want to leave it all behind" you hummed, holding the phone just a little tighter in your hands. You should have known what was coming after that, but you didn't see the problem with that in itself.

If Stefan wanted to turn it off, that was his right, and you weren't about to tell him that he couldn't. However, Damon was far from finished, and started telling you the tale of what had happened these last few weeks.