1860's Rebel (Part 1)

Concept: It's 1864. The Salvatore brothers have not yet had the misfortune of meeting Katherine but who they ARE going to meet is a girl who goes beyond any girl they've ever met before.

It wasn't hard to see by first glance that you rarely felt yourself conforming to the ideals of your friends and family, especially not for strangers either. You felt it oddly ridiculous to dress in a manner and to do things in a way that pleased the majority seeing as it wasn't them who would be experiencing it. They'd have upturned noses and distaste in their mouth any time they'd see you doing anything but that didn't matter a single bit in your eyes, you just kept the mindset that they see you for 10 seconds out of an entire day and that you wouldn't behave in a manner to please someone for 10 seconds because that was beyond ridiculous.

But to say the way you dressed wasn't the ideal was only the tip of the iceberg; your reputation preceded you in your old town, with your reputation being something that nobody was jealous of. It was general knowledge that women were pushed to be modest and respectful, pretty pieces of eye candy on the arm of the man who was free to do whatever he so pleased. You weren't against the concept of being on the arm of another man but you were never, never going to step back and allow yourself to be controlled for someone else's ideal to be pushed forward through you. To allow someone else to take the reigns on your own life made you feel like existence would be pointless so, to ensure that that never happened, you'd began to do anything you felt you wanted to from playing games intended for boys, you'd do garden work in your dress, you'd shop without an escort which was heavily frowned upon in your town and, once or twice, you'd smoked in public - it was a horrible experience but if their whispers or comments got too much in a place where you were, you'd pull out a cigarette and light it right in front of them, just as a final fuck you before leaving.

In the eyes of most, you were a disaster, especially your mother and elder sister, your father too when he was alive. It was no doubt that, while they'd loved you as would any mother to their child before, their love had faltered over time the more rebellious you'd become and, often, would act as if you weren't their own flesh and blood to mask their embarrassment. So, when the three of you were moving west to a small town called Mystic Falls that had not long been founded, your mother and sister had made it abundantly clear that, if you were to keep up your shenanigans, you were not to let any of the locals know that you were their biological family as not to disgrace them, you were to tell them that you were, in fact, adopted. This town was smaller and more tight knit than your last which, of course, meant that rumour would travel faster.

Your arrival to Mystic Falls was not what you thought; your last town was almost completely indifferent to new arrivals, paying them no mind as they seemed to come and go all the time. But, here, it was practically a welcoming committee. People littered the streets, waving hello to you as your carriage had strolled by them and, when you arrived at the house that your grandfather owned, there were an assortment of characters awaiting you to give you a warm welcome. Carefully, you'd dodged their questions enough to not explain that there was, in fact, not a man living in the house as of the time as your mother didn't want them to be under the impression that she was a woman who gave birth out of wedlock if she were to turn up a single mother with two children.

To most, you seemed like just the same, sweet few girls whose dear, ol' daddy was fighting in the war, the type of family that they'd see come and go but, to two boys, they couldn't take their eyes off of you. They could see by the way you held yourself, holding back laughs at your mother's stammering to a question before correcting yourself, the way you rolled your eyes at one of the older men's disgusting attempt at a flirtatious comment, indicating that he would be more than pleased to put a ring on you and have you in his bed. Not his exact wording but you and everyone around you knew that's what his words construed, the rest simply found it funny and your mother nudged you, indicating that she wouldn't be against you marrying the man. He seemed plentiful with money and you knew that he lived in one of the large houses down the street as he'd said before. But the boys watched you intently, never having seen such a girl in their town.