Safe and sound

The fire crackled, signifying that someone was home. She shut the door to the Salvatore house quietly, putting her coat on the clothes rack near the door. Y/N had taken residence at the Salvatore house after her parents left town after her graduation. However, she hadn’t been there since Stefan turned his humanity off, Damon didn’t want to risk him hurting her or anyone. Y/N needed to go home and sleep in her own bed, she’d risk the chance to get a decent sleep.

She had come back from a night out with Kai, her boyfriend of a little over a year. Y/N persuaded Damon not to kill Kai because she was so deeply in love with him and if Damon killed him, he’d kill Y/N along with him. Kai dropped her off, after much arguing how it wasn’t safe. With one look with her puppy eyes and her quivering bottom lip, he caved in.

She started to head to the living room, stopping dead in her tracks when she saw the vampire casually lounging on the chair, a glass of bourbon in his left hand and dry blood all over his shirt. Y/N gulped down her anxiety, and let out an accidental loud sigh. He smirked at his lap and looked up, looking at Y/N as if she were a piece of meat, literally. “Typical, typical. Little Y/N doesn’t listen to Damon. That, my friend, is going to get you killed…” he trailed off, eyes locked on hers as he took a swig of his bourbon.

“You’re the one who told me not to listen to Damon, my friend” she huffed, rolling her bottom lip between her teeth. He smiled, cocking his head to the side and drumming his fingers against the fragile glass. “You’re not going to hurt me Stefan because I am your friend, you would never hurt me,” she tried to reason with him, trying to be gentle. He sighed, standing up and placing the drink on the coffee table.

“You’re right, I wouldn’t hurt you. But I’m not exactly the lump of regret I make myself to be. My humanity is off-” he moved his fingers as if he was turning off a light switch “-and your precious boyfriend Kai isn’t here to protect you…” he licked his lips at the realisation that she was alone. “Maybe you should listen to Damon instead and not me,” he snarled, black veins showing underneath his eyes.

“S-Stefan?” she whimpered, the realisation of the mistake she made. She started to back away, when he flashed up to her. He grabbed her, and was about to sink his fangs into her pulsing neck when he was thrown back smacking into the fireplace. Her unknown saviour let out a large breath of air.

“I don’t believe it’s appropriate to feed on my girlfriend, Steven” Kai said, his lips tugging into a smirk. Y/N let out a breath she didn’t realise she was holding. “Go to the car, Y/N, I need to have a few words with the young Salvatore here,” he said, nodding his head in the direction of a wounded Stefan. She nodded her head, not arguing with him this time. She squeezed his hand and almost ran to the car, her chest heaving and quaking with fear.

Kai flashed to Stefan, using his magic to make him choke on nothing. Kai was pissed- beyond pissed. How dare someone think they can hurt his girl? His body rumbled with anger, his hands shook veraciously. He then slammed Stefan against the wall behind the couch, creating cracks from the pressure of Stefan’s abrupt landing. “How dare you lay a hand on Y/N! You bastard!” he growled, his vampirism showing. Stefan smirked, feeling his hand fix itself.

“Y/N is nothing but a tasty little blood bag. How much longer until you cave in to your desires? I suppose she’s about as tasty as she looks.” he smirked, clearly catching Kai off guard. Seizing this opportunity, Stefan flashed to Kai, his hand breaking through the skin that covered his heart. Kai was quicker however, and snapped Stefan’s neck with his magic. He let out a sigh and bent over Stefan, cocking his head to the side, smiling at the sight.

“Touch her again, humanity on or not, you’re dead” he patted Stefan’s shoulder. He looked toward the opening to the living room, seeing Y/N standing there, tears cascading down her cheeks. He frowned and flashed to her, his thumbs breaking the tear streaks. “I thought I told you to go to the car, princess?” he questioned, concern laced with each word.

“I was, but I heard a bang and-” her voice cracked. She screwed her eyes tight to contain herself, “-I came in and saw him reach for your heart. I know you got him but… but what if he actually did it?” the last part was barely audible as all she could imagine was Kai dying. He shook his head, lowering his head to interlock their lips. It was a passionate kiss, her hand knotting themselves into his hair. They pulled apart, both slightly out of breath. “Can we get out of here?” she asked.

He nodded his head, taking her to his car. The drive back was silent, besides the occasional whimper that left Y/N’s mouth. She was still recovering from before, but one thing did linger in Kai’s mind. How much longer until you cave into your desires? He gripped the steering wheel a lot tighter, his knuckles turning white. He became tense at the thought, he had always been scared that he would accidentally hurt her.

He had begged and pleaded with Damon to help him control his hunger so he didn’t accidentally hurt her in a moment of uncontrollable hunger. Y/N had always believed he wouldn’t hurt her, but he didn’t trust himself. They arrived at his house, which was a lot closer to town and further away from Stefan. Y/N did hear Kai and Stefan’s conversation, which confirmed why he was so tense. She knew about his ability to not trust himself.

They were laying in bed, her hands wrapped tightly around his torso. “I heard what Stefan said to you… I don’t want you to listen to him. I-” she rolled so she was on top of him, looking him in the eye, “-know you can fight the urges, much better than him. I believe in you and trust you with all my life. I love you so much.” She smiled, leaning in and kissing him. She squished his nose against hers, his hands wrapping securely around her waist.

In that moment, he wished that this could be his forever. He finally had someone who believed in him. He loved her so much, he would always protect Y/N from any harm and the reality of the supernatural world. He can finally have his happily ever after, after all those years of being pushed away and called an abomination. He found someone who loves him and believes in him. This was his forever, he couldn’t waste it.  

Word count: 1201