{Ch. 3} Glad You Weren't Dead

Somehow, I had managed to convince myself to sleep after my night with Wanda. Sure, I woke up a few hours later after a hideous nightmare, but it was better than nothing. I hadn't slept in a long time and I felt refreshed with what I'd got.

As soon as I woke up, I took another shower, listening to my happy playlist and basically just vibing the entire time. Afterwards, I towel dried my long, black hair and changed into a simple outfit.

It wasn't much, simply consisting of an oversized black sweatshirt and blue denim shorts. Since I used to be moving around a lot, I kept my possessions to a minimum. Hoodies and sweaters were a safe option, as they lasted a while. I had a lot of those.

A knock at my door caused me to pause my music. "Come in." I called out, hearing the door open. My dad stepped into the room, wearing a grey t-shirt and black jeans. Genuinely excited to see him, I stepped forwards and wrapped my arms around his bulky torso. I may have been an adult, but he was still my dad and I had missed out on a lot of hugs over the years.

"Morning." He greeted as I stepped back. I returned the greeting and his eyes averted from me to my room. "How do you like your new home?" He asked, a gentle smile placed upon his face. I felt my heart grow warm at just the mere thought of this becoming my home permanently.

There was always the chance that things could go wrong, but I had spent my entire life thinking pessimistically and didn't want to do that to myself anymore. "It's perfect, Dad. I love it." I told him, honestly. I really did love it. I hadn't felt this safe since I was seven years old.

"I know you don't have a lot of things, but we can go shopping at some point and I can buy you some stuff." He suggested, to which I promptly shook my head. The last thing I wanted was my dad wasting his hard-earned money on me. I knew I was his daughter and all, but I was an adult now. He didn't owe me anything.

"Dad, I'm twenty-four. You don't have to buy me stuff anymore." I assured him, smiling up at him. It faltered, however, when I saw him frown. My eyebrows furrowed in concern, immediately jumping to the conclusion that I had said something wrong and feeling the sudden urge to throw myself off the nearest cliff.

"I have a lot of time to make up for." He explained, sadly. My heart broke at the look on his face. I had gotten over everything that happened and never once had I blamed my father for any of it, but I realised I had never actually told him that.

"You know what happened wasn't your fault, right?" I assured him, as he placed a gentle hand on my shoulder. His face told me that he didn't agree. "I'm serious, Dad. You don't owe me anything. None of what happened was in your control, there was nothing you could have done."

He looked down to the ground and I could see in his eyes how ashamed he was of it all. "I promise you that I have never blamed you for any of it. You tried hard to protect me and Mom, I know that. I have always known that." I told him, placing my hands on his shoulders to show him how serious I was about this.

He didn't seem convinced and it was breaking my heart to know how much he doubted himself. There was nothing he could have done. I wanted to show him that - prove to him that I knew it wasn't his fault.

"Let me show you." I quietly suggested, taking his hand into my own. For a moment, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion, before the realisation washed over him. I knew he would be apprehensive towards it, simply due to the fact that it used to be difficult for me to feel so much when I was younger. He knew that doing this could overwhelm my brain sometimes. He was about to disagree, but I squeezed his hand tightly. "Please."