{Ch. 16} Explanation

Wanda stayed with me for the full day and I felt nothing but happiness the entire time. She was adamant that she wasn't going to leave me, though I made her promise she would eat something and give herself at least an hour to do her own stuff. She knew I'd feel like a burden if she didn't and so she obliged.

We talked, played games, read her book, made fun of each other, etc. It was perfect and I was dreading the moment she'd have to leave so that she could sleep. However, she didn't. Once again, she broke the barrier using her scarlet magic and climbed into bed with me. I couldn't have been happier.

The two of us got comfortable under the thin blanket and once again, she slid her arm under my head, allowing me to slot my head between her shoulder and her neck. With one hand, she raked her fingers softly through my hair and with the other, she traced patterns on the skin of my hip. I felt unbelievably relaxed and like my body was as light as a feather.

I had one arm tucked under her back, while the other was wrapped around her waist. I was hugging her like a koala and I could feel that she was just as comfortable as I was. We fell asleep together with ease and I dreamed about her once again.

This time, in my dream, we were on a beach. I hated the feeling of the wet sand and so Wanda lifted me up. I wrapped myself around her and we watched the sunset together. When it got dark and everyone else disappeared, we went swimming. I kissed her in the water, under the gentle glow of the moonlight and she kissed me right back.

It was the dream that helped me to realise how much I wanted this with her. We'd spent every day together for months now and I couldn't imagine ever being without her again. She was my whole world and I loved her more than she'd ever know.

I was awoken by the sound of the large metal door opening. I assumed it was Wanda leaving before the guards arrived and so I didn't even move. It hadn't yet registered in my brain that her arms wouldn't have been wrapped so tightly around me if she was gone. I was only snapped out of my sleepy state when I felt her shoot into an upright position.

I copied her and saw many, many pairs of eyes staring at the two of us. However, it wasn't the guards. It was the Avengers. All of them. Tony, Nat, my dad, Steve, etc. They were all there and their gazes were focused on me in particular. What was happening?

"Guys, what's going on?" Wanda asked them, her morning voice sending chills down my spine. I was so confused and still half-asleep. Was I dreaming?

"We got him." Tony muttered, a humongous smile on his face. Wanda slowly stood up and I watched her in confusion, deciding to copy her stance. She was on the verge of tears and I grabbed her hand, worried and completely oblivious to what was going on.

"She's free?" The-red gasped, causing my eyebrows to furrow. Was she talking about me? The blue barrier was still up, minus the gap Wanda had created. Surely, they were talking about someone else. Tony hated me, he definitely wouldn't be smiling about my freedom, would he?

"She's free." Natasha confirmed, causing me to notice that the rest of them were also smiling softly. My brain was beginning to hurt. I was trying to put the pieces together, but it was all so confusing and I had little to no information.

"Oh my god!" Wanda sighed, before she turned to me and wrapped her arms around my waist, lifting me into the air and spinning me around like a princess. I giggled and held onto her when she placed me back down on the ground. Was she talking about me?

"I'm free?" I checked, feeling like I was also about to cry. I had genuinely begun to believe that I'd be trapped in that cell for the rest of my life. The sound of freedom made me want to scream in happiness.

"You're free, baby." She confirmed, causing a swarm of butterflies to erupt in my stomach and a huge grin to form on my face. I shot forward and wrapped my arms tightly around her neck, pulling her into me tighter than ever before. How was I free?

Before I knew what was happening, The Avengers all began running at me. My dad wrapped me in the warmest hug, followed straight after by Natasha, who cupped the back of my head and told me how much they had missed me. I didn't even realise I was crying, until she wiped my tears away with her thumb.

Imagine my surprise when Tony stepped forward, roughly pulling me forward and into a tight hug. "I'm so sorry, kid. You don't even know how much you've helped." He told me, to which my brain began to malfunction. So much confusion in such little time. What was going on?

"I don't understand." I muttered, feeling Wanda grab my hand as everyone surrounded me. "How am I free? Did you find the guy who framed me?" I asked, looking around and searching their faces for some kind of answer. I knew nothing.

"Damn right we did. He's here." Tony muttered, pointing towards the corner of the room. Stepping into the light was Director Fury. I gasped and felt a headache coming on. None of this made any sense. Why would Fury frame me for a murder?

"Technically, I didn't frame you." Fury spoke, crossing his arms over his chest as she glared at Tony. "Baron Zemo is a Sokovian enemy who murdered Agent Todd and placed the weapon in your room." He explained, causing me to nod.

"We wanted him to believe that his plan had succeeded, so we locked you up." He continued, causing me to furrow my eyebrows slightly. "His plan was for the Avengers to fall apart as half protected you and half wanted you dead. So we pretended that's exactly what happened."

"Then, we made it out like you were set free when Wanda broke the cameras with her magic, which led Zemo right into our trap. He tried to set you up again, but ended up getting himself caught." Fury informed me, to which I tried to process. "We've been searching for this man for years and now thanks to you, we finally got him. Sorry it took so long."

"Wait, so... you don't hate me?" I asked, mostly aiming the question towards Tony. The man smiled at me and pulled something out of his pocket. It was my phone.

"I tried to protect you as best as I could when I knew Zemo was up to something. I put a tracker in your phone, which proved you weren't at the scene of the crime and I had Pepper buy you new clothes to show you that no matter what, this is your home now, kid." He assured me, to which I began crying once again. He wrapped me in a second hug and I felt a huge weight lift off of my shoulders.

They didn't think I was a murderer. They didn't think I was a bad person. I had helped them and he said this was my home. That was all I ever could have wished for and more.

Several hugs and tears later, they lead me back into The Avengers Compound and sat me down on the sofa. Wanda never let go of my hand and I watched in confusion as all of the other Avengers sat down with us. Tony stood up and I allowed my eyes to follow him as he approached the television.

"Your dad said you like this one." He muttered, hitting a button on a remote and causing the screen to light up. Playing was Grease. My bottom lip began to tremble as everyone cuddled close and watched the movie. I knew half of them didn't actually care for the movie one bit, but they cared for me and so they sat through the whole thing.

Wanda pulled the blanket down from behind us and placed it over our laps. Then, she wiped my tears away and guided my head to lean on her shoulder. I let out a content sigh and patted around until I found her hand, slowly locking our fingers together and smiling as I focused back on the movie.

I could get used to this.

- - - / - - - / - - - / - - - / - - -

A/N: here you go, guys! you finally got your explanation. i really hope this made sense and that you guys enjoyed it. thank you so much for all of your love and support. leave a comment to let me know what you thought. i love you all and i hope you have an amazing day!

*this chapter is currently unedited, so i apologise for any mistakes*