{Ch. 11} Boring

Much to my disappointment, Natasha had to leave around fiteen minutes after Tony had. She assured me they were doing everything they could to find out what was really going on here and I had no idea as to whether or not I should believe her.

After she left, I laid on the floor in the middle of my cage and began singing along to random music I liked. I created a beat by tapping my foot and clicking my fingers. It actually passed the time a lot more than I thought it would. Plus, it stopped me from thinking too much. Particularly, thinking about how I should have just stayed hidden.

I was pulled from my private concert upon hearing the large metal door open. My dad stepped into the room, a look of relief on his face when he spotted me. "Dani..." He breathed out, rushing forward in attempt to greet me.

"Don't get too close." I warned, holding out my hand to show him he needed to stop. He saw the blue barrier and sighed, a troubled look over-taking his features. I knew it pained him to see me like this and the thought just made me wish I'd never re-entered his life in the first place.

"Are you okay?" He asked, standing as close to the barrier as he could without actuallty touching it. I pressed my back up against my bed and sighed. I wasn't okay at all, actually. I finally put my trust into something after pushing everyone and everything away only to have it thrown back in my face.

"I'm fine, Dad." I lied, mustering up my best smile. Realistically, I was just glad he was here and I wasn't alone anymore. Something about being trapped in this small, electric cage made me feel vulnerable and helpless.

"Natasha told me Tony decided to pay you a visit. Did he say anything to you?" He interrogated, using his hand to rub the back of his neck. I thought about my answer, before actually speaking it. My dad seemed so happy here with The Avengers. The last thing I wanted to do was create tension between them.

"No, he was mostly here to speak to Natasha." I told him, which wasn't a complete lie. He had spoken to Natasha more than me when he was actually here. My dad nodded his head, thankfully buying it.

"I'm so sorry, Dani. You don't deserve any of this." He practically whispered, his voice becoming lower and lower everytime he spoke. He looked so vulnerable and upset. I never wanted to make him feel that way.

"Dad, please don't worry about it. This isn't your fault and trust me, I've had years of practise learning how to entertain myself. I'm fine." I assured, showing him with my eyes that I was more bothered about him than I was myself. "I know I'm not guilty and that's all that matters."

His smile told me he believed me, but his eyes said different. This was hurting him a lot and I knew he felt responsible in more ways than one. "Look, how about we talk about something else?" I suggested, with a gentle smile. He nodded, sitting down on the floor and making himself comfortable. It made me feel better to know he wouldn't be leaving anytime soon.

"How about we talk about your little crush?" He randomly blurted out, causing me to almost choke on air. My eyes widened and I stared at him in confusion. "You didn't actually think I believed you two were just friends, right?"

"We are just friends." I told him, honestly, causing a huge smile to take over his features. He straightened up and laughed.

"So you admit it?" He asked, causing me to roll my eyes and lean back even further. "Seriously, Tony mentioned poker at his party and you looked like a kid at Christmas. Yet, the second Maximoff said she didn't wanna play, you decided it wasn't your thing." He told me, accusingly. I groaned, throwing my head back.

"Don't start." I warned, secretly smiling to myself. This only caused him to laugh even further. I was glad he wasn't being weird about the whole thing. I knew he'd support me through anything, but the thought still crossed my mind that he might resent me for it.