{Ch. 5} Party

"We better go get ready for tonight." Natasha briefly announced, ending our short training session. I wasn't disappointed with how it had turned out. We explored a few more of my abilities, one of them being the feeling of others' emotions. We also did quite a bit of actual fitness and fighting, which Natasha said I wasn't too bad at for a newbie.

"What's tonight?" I asked, speed-walking after the two as they made their way towards the door. Wanda's eyebrows furrowed at my question. Clearly, they had expected me to be aware of whatever was happening.

"Your party." She told me, causing my eyes to widen. Tony had mentioned throwing me a party, but at no point had he actually stated a date or time. I had no idea what I was going to wear and there was no time to mentally prepare myself for all the inevitable social interaction that was to come.

"That's tonight?!" I gasped, thinking of all the things I needed to do. I'd have to shower, since I was all sweaty. Then there was hair and makeup, plus finding an outfit. This was all too stressful for me.

"Yeah, Tony didn't tell you...?" Natasha asked, to which I shook my head. She pulled her phone from her pocket and held it out in front of my face. "He sent a text to a new group chat saying 'Party tonight at 8. Dress nice or you lose your invite.' You're in the chat." She explained, causing it to finally click.

"Oh, that's probably why. He still has my phone." I thought out loud, watching as both of their eyebrows raised again, most likely wondering why Tony Stark had my phone. "He asked me if he could upgrade something." I shrugged, mentally patting myself on the back when I saw they both believed it.

Natasha left us a moment later, so it was just Wanda and I. At first, I couldn't decide whether to speak up. She'd been acting strangely today. For example, every time I'd make a joke or say something to Natasha, she'd scoff or roll her eyes. I was genuinely starting to wonder if she hated me.

"Do you like Natasha?" Came the voice of said witch. I furrowed my eyebrows, looking over to her only to see she was staring straight at me as we walked in the direction of our rooms. It took me a while to actually comprehend the fact that she had just asked me a question. I finally replied after the initial confusion had faded.

"Uh, yeah, she's nice." I replied, wondering if this was some kind of test. Had Natasha put her up to this or something? Maybe she thought I was acting strange with the Avengers and that's why she was suddenly acting like she hated my guts.

"No, I mean do you like Natasha?" She reaffirmed, her features portraying the fact that she was definitely angry. Confusion washed over me like a tsunami. Even if I did, why would that be any of her business and why would it make her so angry? Unless, she liked Natasha and I was getting in her way.

"No." I answered, simply. Part of me wanted to just touch her and find out why she was acting this way. At the same time, I didn't want to make her any more angry than she already was.

Not that it would make a difference. I could tell she wasn't exactly happy with my answer. Why didn't she believe me? "Look, if there's something going on between you two, I promise I won't get in the way of it. I don't like Natasha like that." I assured her, surprised when she suddenly stopped walking and turned to face me.

There was something in her features that I couldn't quite understand. "She's very pretty, but I see her as more of the older sister type." I admitted, hoping to put her at ease. I didn't like Nat in that way. If the situation was different, I probably would have, but I had my eyes on someone else for now.

She folded her arms over her chest, looking down towards the floor. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" She began, before I cut her off. I understood. If you like someone, you don't want anyone else getting in the way of that. It was easy to get what she was feeling.