{Ch. 18} Selfish

We all hung out for the entire day and thankfully, everyone dropped the teasing after a little while. Wanda and I didn't speak through our minds again. We didn't really speak at all. At the end of the day, we all said goodnight and went our separate ways.

I went back to my room, not upset about being alone for the first time in months. Even if I was alone, I was free and I could go find someone if I needed them. I knew it wasn't like before.

As soon as I entered the room, I stripped out of my clothes and put on a new black hoodie, along with a pair of matching cotton shorts. Then, I jumped straight into bed and wrapped myself in the soft sheets. I couldn't wait to get a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed.

Feeling tired after being woken up so abruptly this morning, I closed my eyes and tried to go to sleep. I thought about everything that had happened that day. I had finally been saved from that hell and I was a part of The Avengers family. I felt happy and I felt loved. Everything was good.

So, why couldn't I sleep? I laid there for at least an hour with my eyes closed, tossing and turning. Nothing was working. I'd think about all the things that make me happy. I'd tuck the blankets around me perfectly. I even tried putting music on. With no luck.

Eventually, I found myself frustrated and I kicked the blanket off me in a strop. Staring up at the ceiling, I contemplated whether what I was thinking of doing was a good or bad decision. After a while, I convinced myself it was a stupid idea and closed my eyes once again, hoping I would just magically be able to fall asleep because I wanted to.

Thirty minutes later, I groaned and climbed off the bed. Taking a deep breath, I stepped out of my room, making sure to close the door behind me and found myself standing outside of the room of the one person I knew would make me feel better.

It was late and I knew it was more than likely she was sleeping, but that didn't stop me. I raised my first and so gently knocked upon the door, I worried it might not have even been audible. I thought about knocking again, but realised it was selfish of me to even try in the first place. She was probably sleeping and I shouldn't have tried to disturb that.

I waited a few seconds, until finally, I realised I should just leave it and go back to bed. "I'm awake." Came her voice in my head a few moments later. "You can come in." She told me, to which I gulped. It was then I acknowledged that I didn't even care about sleeping anymore. I just wanted to see her.

So, with a sigh, I turned around and opened her door, quietly stepping into the room. The lights were off, but her curtains weren't drawn closed and so the room was illuminated by the gentle glow of the moon. She was in bed, tucked beneath the sheets.

Upon entering, I realised I had no idea what I was actually going to say. 'Can I sleep with you?' didn't exactly seem like the best idea, but neither did 'let me in your bed.' While thinking of how to word it, I stood anxiously by the door, just twiddling with my fingers like a child with 'monsters in their closet.'

Wanda didn't say a word. She simply saw me struggling with myself and pulled back the sheets, patting the space beside her. I let out a grateful sigh and stepped forwards, climbing into her bed and crawling over to where she had motioned for me to lay. She held the covers up for me as I got in.

Once I was laid down with my head on the pillow, she placed the blanket over me and made sure I was tucked in, before laying back down and facing me. "Your bed is huge." I mumbled, smiling at the comfort I was feeling from having her nearby.

"I think you're just used to the tiny one you've slept in for months." She pointed out, to which I nodded. Probably. That bed had been extremely small. Even then, we fit in it together perfectly. We were forced to be close to each other and for a moment, I wished we could be back there just for that reason.