{Ch. 8} Chocolate Cereal

"Wanda, are you asleep?" I whispered, switching off the TV with the sleek, black remote that had been left on the arm of the sofa. She didn't reply and I looked down at her cautiously. "Wanda?" I whispered once again, delicately stroking her arm.

Just like the night previous, she seemed to have fallen asleep on my shoulder. A smile made its way onto my face at the sight of her sleeping so peacefully. Her red hair was sprawled out across her face and I used the edge of my finger to wipe it away. She was sleeping, but even then, she looked so incredibly beautiful.

Her features were so relaxed and I liked that she wasn't worrying about anything in the moment. She was just peaceful and safe. It shouldn't have made me feel the way it did. My heart felt like it was hot and about to explode with butterflies.

I gently traced her eyebrow with my thumb, taking in each and every one of her features. Those few prominent freckles scattered throughout her face. The gentle curve of her lips. Her high and constantly pink cheekbones. She was just innocently and completely beautiful. I wouldn't change a single feature if I could.

I thought about waking up, but took one look at her obliviously adorable face and decided against the idea. Carefully, I slipped out from under her, making sure to support her neck so that she wouldn't fall back. Then, I used my hands to scoop her up, pulling her weight against my chest.

Her head rested gently in the curve of my arm and I stood still for a moment, so that she could get used to the position and wouldn't wake up. Once I was sure she was still asleep, I began walking in the direction of our rooms. She was extremely light and I wondered if she ate enough. I also wondered if she got the right amount of sleep every night.

I was beginning to care for this woman a lot more than I'd care to admit to anyone. I wanted to make sure she was okay at all times. I wanted to keep her safe, no matter what.

Pushing her door open with my foot, I turned so that she wouldn't hit her head and stepped into the room. It was a really nice room and apparent that she had been here a lot longer than I had. Small items of decoration were scattered throughout the place and she had random instruments and clothes thrown around everywhere.

Snapping myself out of my trance, I walked over to the bed and gently lowered her down onto it. Then, I pulled the covers up to her shoulders. Her eyebrows were slightly furrowed in some sort of confusion or concentration and I wondered what she was dreaming about. It would be so easy for me to take a look inside her head, yet I didn't even consider it.

Finally, I decided it was time to leave her alone and leaned down to press a gentle kiss on her hairline. I felt her shift and looked down to see her eyes open, a soft smile spread across her lips. "Sorry." I whispered, wondering if I had crossed a line.

She looked so sleepy and dazed. "Come here." She barely mumbled, reaching her hands up to pull on my shoulders. I sank into her arms, burying my face in her neck as she did the same to me. Engulfed by her homely scent, I felt myself completely relax. I tried not to put my full weight on her, using one of my elbows to prop myself up.

One of her hands was placed delicately on the small of my back, while the other was tangled in my hair, her gentle fingers tracing my scalp. I felt so at home in that moment, I could have genuinely cried. This side of Wanda - the precious, innocent side - was my favourite. She was my favourite.

I breathed in her scent for a good few minutes as she played with my hair, trying not to fall asleep on top of her. "Goodnight, Daniela." She eventually muttered, which I took as my queue to leave. I sat up, brushing a loose strand of hair behind her ear as she stared up at me through her almost closed eyelids.