{Ch. 9} Isn't This Great?

"Are you ready to go?" My dad called out to me as he approached the living area. I nodded my head eagerly, shoving my phone - which I had previously been exploring and customising - back into my pocket.

When I had finally left Wanda's room, after finishing several episodes of Friends and talking about random things in life, I came here to wait.

My dad arrived with Steve in tow, the two of them both dressed in their casual clothes. My dad was wearing dark blue jeans, a red t-shirt and a thin black jacket. Meanwhile, Steve was wearing black jeans, a white t-shirt and a dark blue bomber jacket. I liked it better when they were in their normal clothes.

"Nat's letting us borrow the Stingray." Steve stated, holding up a pair of fancy looking car keys. I'd never even heard of a stingray car before, but it sounded exciting. While I knew nothing about them, I liked appreciate fancy-looking vehicles. My dad seemed to know a lot about cars and I wondered if that was something he could teach me or we could bond over.

We walked out of the Avengers compound and into an extremely large garage I hadn't seen before, filled with every expensive car you could possibly imagine.

I wondered how many of these actually belonged to Tony. If there was one thing I knew about him, it was that he loved fancy technology, including that of vehicles. Hence why Pepper had taken me shopping in a dark blue Porsche, explaining that it was a birthday present from Tony. I hadn't celebrated my birthday since the age of six, never mind had a car gifted to me on said day.

I cluelessly followed the two large men over to a slim black car. Like I said, I knew nothing about vehicles. However, this was a sexy car. I read the back as we approached, acknowledging the fact that we were driving in a Chevrolet Corvette Stingray. There was a high chance I'd forget that in five minutes.

"God, I missed this baby." My dad chuckled, stepping beside the vehicle. He looked over at me, watching as I approached. "You still like to sit in the back?" He asked, with a gentle smile on his face. That question caused my heart to sink and jump at the exact same time. How did he remember that?

I nodded, grinning widely. With a smile, he held open the back door for me and I climbed inside, mumbling a quick thank you. He shut the door behind me once he was sure he wasn't about to trap any of my limbs and climbed into the passenger seat as Steve slid into the driver's side.

The car soon started and we were on our way, driving around the beautiful city of New York in a vehicle that roared like a lion. Even though I had been on the run for most my life, I had always lived in or around England. America was beautiful and I was more than excited to get to know the place.

"How are you enjoying your time at the compound?" Steve asked from the front as we drove. I snapped my eyes from the window to the rear view mirror, seeing his bright blue orbs flicker from me to the road.

"I love it." I gushed, smiling brightly at the thought. "I just wish I could repay you guys for letting me stay with you." I admitted, causing my dad to turn around with a displeased look on his face. I knew he never wanted me to feel like a burden and everyone made a good job of showing me I wasn't one.

"You don't need to repay anyone. After everything you've been through, don't you think you deserve a home?" My dad asked, leaning over his seat. My mouth dropped open and I furiously blinked my eyes in an attempt to stop any tears from falling. I had always craved a home and now I had one.

"If you feel like a burden living with us, you could always join the team." Steve suggested, glancing back at him through the rear view mirror. My eyes practically began to sparkle at the sound of that. A team. That sounded perfect.