thirty eight: lifeless

Kai's POV

When my already not-so-pleasant afternoon was interrupted by a series or quick knocks rapping at my door, I was instantly aware of what it meant.

Considering there was only one person left in this God-awful town who would ever even consider talking to me, I wasn't left with many deductions to make. 

Clearly Caroline had shown up uninvited.

Again.

Which usually would've conjured nothing but a groan from my lips and a bitter feeling of annoyance, but after what had happened with Andie, any distraction was a welcome one.

Even if that distraction was an obnoxiously loud, and only partially likeable blonde.

So, I strolled to the door, and pulled it open with a forced smile stretched across my lips. And surprise surprise, when the door was opened a bubbly little blonde stared back at me from the hallway.

"I don't remember inviting you." I quipped.

She gave me a roll of her eyes, as she crossed her arms tightly across her chest.

"And yet here I am." She snarked. "Are you going to invite me in?"

"I thought vampires only had to be invited in the first time?" I scoffed.

"We do." She smiled. "I was just being polite."

My lips curled into a faint grin as I shook my head at her and moved out of the door frame. With a small chuckle I stalked back into my living room, allowing Caroline to follow behind me.

"So, did you have something you wanted to say?" I asked, as I slumped on the sofa. "Or are you just here to find out what happened with Andie after you left?"

"A bit of both." She admitted, as she sat beside me.

"Shocker." I scoffed. "You can say your piece first then."

She gave me a small nod in response as she slipped her coat off and laid it over her lap. Then she took in a short breath as she fiddled with the jacket on her knees.

It was like she was stuck for words.

Which I didn't know she was capable of.

"Spit it out, Caroline." I groaned.

"Oh - yeah, sorry." She stuttered. "Okay, well first things first, Elena and Bonnie have gone back to college."

I pulled my brows together as I gave her a shrug. "And that concerns me why?" I pressed.

"Well, firstly, it means less help to figure out Andie's plans." She explained.

"I'd hardly call them help." I groaned.

"Secondly -" She continued. "You may have noticed that I've not gone back to college."

"It would certainly seem that way." I nodded.

She gave an irritated sigh as if she expected a different response.

But being a sociopath and all, I wasn't exactly experienced in picking up on conversational cues.

"Well, I wanted to help with Andie." She explained. "And I was thinking of not going back anyway - this whole thing kind of just sealed the deal."

"Okay..." I shrugged. "That's nice for you, I guess."

Her lips parted as she stared back at me, before she pushed a short breath through her lips.

"I just wanted to tell someone." She blurted. "You know, I'd usually tell Andie, but I can't tell her because she doesn't care -"