sixty eight: caroline

A few more days crept on as normal.

The three of us spent lots of time together, laughing and teasing, or relaxing. We'd all grown pretty comfortable with the situation, and we all enjoyed the company. It was nice to have them around me. Nice not to be alone.

However, it was only a few mornings on when Caroline crept into the living room slightly quieter than she usually did.

Kai and I were already curled up on the sofa, with my head resting against his chest, and a film playing in the background, but as soon as she appeared in the doorframe, I found my eyes magnetising to her. And only a second later, to the almost overflowing bags clutched in her fingers. I immediately felt my lips bend into a frown, a small sigh managing to escape me. I swung my legs back round so my feet were on the floor, pushing away from Kai's grip and connecting my gaze with Caroline's.

"You're leaving?" I quizzed.

She gave the slightest nod, forcing her lips into a faint smile. "It's time for me to go home."

My heart twisted below my ribs. "You don't have to leave." I protested. "It's really no problem having you here, Care."

"Yeah - it's no pressure, Caroline." Kai added. "You can have all the time you want."

She gave a shallow sigh, dumping her bags on the floor as she creeped over to the armchair across from me and Kai, and lowered herself into it.

"Look, I love you both - so much," she smiled, "but I've been here for almost three weeks. I know that if I don't go now, I'm just never going to want to be on my own again, and I can't do that. I need to be strong enough to stand on my own two feet."

"And you're sure you're ready to be alone?" I pressed.

"I am." She assured. "I'm ready to get back into my normal routine. It'll be good for me."

My lips lifted into a small grin, pleased that she seemed to be healing. Even if I was going to miss her, she was doing what she needed to do to get back on track. And that made me happier than anything else.

"Well, if you ever want to come back, you're always welcome." I offered.

"Thank you." She smiled sweetly. "And I'll still be seeing you guys all the time."

"Oh goody." Kai groaned sarcastically.

She shot him a quick glare, but the cold stare between them rapidly faded into a small chuckle from each of them within a few seconds. They never could stay serious.

"I think you'll miss me even more than Andie will." Caroline taunted.

"I think you're delusional." He scoffed.

She gave a roll of her eyes, pushing up from the armchair and stalking back over to her bags.

"We'll drop you off, Care." I offered. "Kai grab her bags."

He stifled a gentle chuckle, rising from the sofa and scooping Caroline's bags from the floor. "Yes ma'am."

Rolling my eyes, my lips twitched into a grin, and I made my way over to both Kai and Caroline, hooking my arms around them and pulling them close to me.

"I'm going to miss spending every day with you two."

"Relax, you'll still have me." Kai teased, giving me a playful poke in the ribs.

Caroline snickered, resting her head on my shoulder.

"God help you, Andie."

~~~