two: conversation

I rested the back of my skull on the headboard of my bed as I let a burdened sigh fall from my lips.

As my eyes flitted lazily around the room, I caught sight of my face in a mirror that rested atop the dressing table at the foot of my bed. The tired girl who looked back at me was practically unrecognisable. Dark rings encircled my eyes, my brunette waves messily arranged. The plump fresh look of youth had faded from my cheeks and instead they looked ashy and sunken. The girl who stared back at me looked broken.

Softly closing my eyes to escape my dishevelled appearance, I let my brain wander for a moment.

I immediately wondered how Bonnie and Damon were doing. Hopefully better than I was. The thought of Damon and Elena reuniting made my lips twitch into a smile. I imagined the shock on Elena's face as she got back her best friend and her boyfriend after four months. I thought of how Caroline would react, and Stefan. The happiness I felt for Bonnie and Damon was almost enough to obscure my own sadness. Almost.

Truthfully, yes, I was sad that I wasn't going home too, of course I was, but that wasn't what was bugging me currently. All day I had suffered from an incessant nagging sensation in my brain that I just couldn't shake, no matter how hard I tried my thoughts always eventually drifted back to my boyfriend.

Tyler and I had been together for just under a year now. We had always been friends previously, and then it just kind of happened. It was exciting at first, you know, because it was so unexpected, but then over time the excitement sort of fizzled out. Then we were left with what ever the fuck it is we had now.

I felt fucking awful even thinking it but listening to Damon talking about Elena just made me realise that Tyler and I didn't have the same love for each other as they did. We didn't need each other. And honestly, when I pictured my future, I'm not sure Tyler was in it.

Not that I'd be having any future anyway if I was stuck in here forever.

I'd already spent all day hiding in my room because Kai had stubbornly taken residency on the sofa. Unfortunately for me, loneliness and boredom gave my brain plenty of leeway to overthink every depressing aspect of my life. The longer I isolated myself the more tortured my thinking became. After just over twenty-four hours of mental self-sabotage I was ready to scream.

Suddenly my thoughts were interrupted as my door was pulled open.

Kai stood in the frame, his boyish face bearing an irritating smirk.

"Well don't you look like a barrel of laughs." He teased, noticing my glum expression.

I rolled my eyes not even bothering to turn my head and give him eye contact.

"Go away, Kai." I groaned.

His scoff was partially obscured by the sound of my bedroom door closing. Unfortunately for me, Kai remained on the inside of the closed door. "I was just coming to tell you that I made you dinner." He added temptingly, creeping further into my room.

I shot him a suspicious look as I pushed my eyebrows together. My worn-out brain couldn't fathom a scenario in which Kai would preform an act of kindness that wasn't at least ninety per-cent selfish.

"Why have you made me dinner?" I asked dubiously, my tone more accusatory than appreciative.

Kai chucked amusedly, rolling his eyes as he did so. "I poisoned it." He joked.

"Wouldn't be surprised." I said blandly.

He slowly moved closer to me before eventually perching on the end of my bed.