ninety: birthday party

The day of my birthday party rolled around quicker than expected.

My actual birthday was on Wednesday, but Caroline had planned to throw it the weekend before. That was because the weekend after, we'd both be moving into our new apartments, ready to start the term at Whitmore College. And as always, Caroline had been incredibly busy planning the perfect party, though this time I'd been left out of the preparations.

Caroline had stressed that under no circumstances was I allowed to organise anything for the party. I just had to pick out a nice dress and arrive at Caroline's house a few hours before the party so that we could get ready together.

It all seemed simple enough.

I arrived on Caroline's doorstep at exactly five p.m., clutching a bag full of makeup and hair supplies and with a dress bag draped over my arm. When she saw me, Caroline squealed excitedly and practically dragged me upstairs, babbling the whole way about how much she was looking forward to the party, and asking me if I felt the same. And for once, I realised that I was actually just as giddy as Caroline.

I'd needed something like this. Something which would let me unwind and have fun with my friends, without having to worry about anything else. This night was going to be - according to Caroline - the biggest, and best party she'd ever thrown. And I couldn't wait to dissolve into the chaos of it all.

"You wanna start with makeup or hair?" Caroline asked, as she sat down cross legged on the floor in front of a large mirror. I sat beside her with a smile, pulling a head band from my bag and using it to push my hair away from my face.

"Makeup." I decided. "You can help me with my hair after - you're better at it."

"Perfect." Caroline grinned, lugging her large pink makeup bag onto her lap. I rummaged in my bag until I pulled out my own makeup - and sat the case in front of me. "Hey - you wanna put on some music? You can plug into my speaker."

"Sure." I nodded, quickly moving to Caroline's desk and docking my cell phone on her speaker, before shuffling my music. I set the volume fairly low, and then sat back down beside the blonde, who was already rubbing a thick white cream into her face.

"So - what have you been up to recently?" She asked, digging in her makeup bag until she pulled out a foundation brush. "I've barely seen you this week."

"That's because you've been in party planner mode." I chuckled. "Don't worry though, you've not missed out on anything exciting. I haven't been up to much."

"Mmm." She hummed. "Nothing at all?"

I shook my head obliviously, squeezing some foundation onto the back of my hand. Then I paused, memories of my date with Enzo flooding back into my mind.

I'd agreed just to be friends with him, and he was going to be at the party tonight - but still I hadn't told anyone about the date. Not because I was embarrassed or trying to hide it - but just because it was hardly worth mentioning. We went for dinner, didn't kiss, and decided we weren't going to date again. It was hardly any different than eating with any of my other friends. Though I knew Caroline wouldn't see it that way.

And I hated not telling her absolutely everything.

"There was one thing." I admitted, refusing to look at Caroline and instead focusing on my own makeup application.

"Yeah?" She asked. "What's that?"

I pushed out a deep breath, for some reason feeling the need to brace myself. "I went on a date." I told. She was silent. "With Enzo."

She only giggled in response, as she dabbed cream coloured concealer beneath her eyes.

"What's so funny?" I groaned, nudging her arm.