sixty seven: picnic

Caroline could barely stifle her grin as I helped her apply her makeup.

Hours had gone into her routine this morning, from skincare, to hair, to makeup. She clearly wanted everything just perfect. With my help, washes of shimmering gold and bronze swept across her eyelids, making her blue irises pop even more. Peachy pink blusher sat on top of her cheeks, as well as a light dusting across her nose, and her eyelashes were curled and lengthened with a coat of black mascara.

Stefan had agreed to meet her for lunch, and even though she showed clear signs of nervousness for how their conversation might go, she seemed to be more excited than anything. And I didn't think I'd seen her quite this pedantic about her appearance since she was a human.

"Okay, lipstick or lip gloss?" She asked, pulling two products out of her makeup bag excitedly, and clicking them together.

"Lip gloss." I answered with certainty. "That way he won't be able to take his eyes off your shiny lips." I teased, puckering my lips and making kissing sounds.

She pushed out a little giggle, as she gently shoved my arm in an attempt to scold me.

"There will be no kissing."

"But you still want him to think about kissing you, even if you aren't going to actually kiss him."

Her lips twitched into a slight grin, as she turned to the mirror and started sliding her lip gloss applicator across her lips.

"See. Told you." I taunted.

"Shut up." She chuckled, as she twisted the tube closed and threw it into her purse.

"Okay, let me see you."

A small grin tugged at her lips as she placed her hand beneath her chin and turned her face from cheek to cheek so I could see her from all angles. Every single detail of her appearance looked perfect and polished, and she truly looked like she was glowing.

She was beautiful.

"Stefan is a lucky man." I chuckled. "You look gorgeous, Care."

Her cheeks slightly blushed, as the bridge of her nose crinkled, and she gave me a small nudge.

"Stop it." She giggled bashfully.

"Let's go see what Kai has to say." I suggested, grabbing onto her hand and tugging her away from the mirror. "I expect something sarcastic."

She complied with a small groan, letting me drag her all the way down the hallway to the living room, where Kai was sprawled lazily across the sofa. His eyes barely flicked up to meet us, as he popped a pork rind in his mouth with a loud crunch.

"Finally done."

"Gross." Caroline shuddered. "I don't know how you eat those."

"I don't know how you and I have lived in the same house for more than a week without a fatal incident." He shot back, curving his lips into a faint smirk. "World's full of mysteries, Care."

She rolled her eyes at him, as he chuckled proudly, digging in the bottom of the bag for another chip.

"And back in the bag he goes." Caroline murmured under her breath.

"Took you long enough to get ready." He commented. "You two have been at it for hours."

"Perfection takes time." She said with a smug grin, cocking her brow confidently.

He finally lifted his eyes from his chips to take a proper look at her, scanning over her face and clothes with an observant glance.

"Clearly not enough time then." He muttered.