forty nine: costumes

Andie's POV

"So, she's just giving you her magic?" I pressed, as we sped back down the streets towards Jo's apartment. "All of it?"

Kai's features twinged slightly, and he hadn't looked at all comfortable since we left the hospital. I didn't know exactly what had happened between him and Jo, but I could gather from his demeanour that it had been enough to put him in a bad mood.

"Well, it's sort of a package deal - so yeah, all of it." He replied, his body still shivering in the passenger seat.

"And she agreed willingly?" I pressed, quickly flicking my eyes from the road to him to monitor his expressions. "She didn't even argue?"

He gave a small groan, keeping his eyes fixed out of the front window, whilst folding his arms across his chest and rubbing his skin in an attempt to generate some extra warmth.

"She threw me against the wall and demanded that I never come anywhere near her again." He said blandly, ending with a small sigh. "So, yeah – I think she was really happy to give up her powers to save my life."

"She what?" I fussed, frantically shifting my gaze between the road and him, trying to scan for any injuries that Jo may have caused.

Kai gave puffed a small breath through his nostrils in response, finally fixing his deep blue stare onto me. His lips parted to form an explanation that I already knew was going to underplay the situation, however, before he had the chance my phone started blaring with a loud chirpy ring which filled up the entire car.

I let a groan push through my lips, feeling my fingers start to grip the steering wheel a little harder, tightened by anxiety.

"Can you check who it is?" I asked. "But I want a proper explanation about this later."

He only gave a sigh in response, as he scooped up my phone and took a look at the screen.

"It's Caroline."

I kept my eyes latched on the road now, and with a quick review of my surroundings, decided I had enough time to answer her call. It was probably a better option that her calling me a million more times whilst Kai and Jo were doing whatever the hell people do to transfer their magic to each other.

"Just answer and put her on speaker."

He obliged with a small nod, and the ringing finally ceased.

"Hey - I'm in the car." I told. "Kai's here too, you're on speaker."

"Hey, Kai." She chirped.

"Hi." He replied blandly.

"What's up, Care?" I asked.

"So, I've got all these fairy lights for the party and I'm getting balloons delivered tomorrow." She explained. "Can I give you and Kai a stack of flyers to hand out with a list of names?"

Kai instinctively let out a small groan of protest, and I shot him a glare, pressing my finger over my lip telling him to be quiet.

"Yeah, that's fine, Care." I agreed.

"There's just one more thing." She added.

"Of course there is." Kai grumbled.

I gave Kai another cold glance, but Caroline didn't seem to be put off by his obvious disinterest anyway.

"Do you think I could pull off being a fairy?" She asked, her voice lacking its usually confident overtone.

"Absolutely." I confirmed. "But I've never known you to doubt your ability to pull off anything."