fifty three: breakfast

The pads of my feet softly connected with the hard wooden floors as I creeped back from the bathroom towards our bedroom.

I instinctively wrapped my towel tighter around my body as I snuck past the bedroom which I knew Damon and Elena were fast asleep in. There had been this awful tightness in my chest ever since I woke up this morning. Like the feeling of impending doom was crushing my organs.

I had this unrelenting fear that this morning was not going to go well, and despite how positively I tried to think, I couldn't seem to shift it. It was almost as though I knew something was going to go wrong. And there was nothing anyone could do to stop it. It was intuition.

I wasn't surprised to be feeling pessimistic. Given how Elena acted last night.

I forced her out of my brain as I twisted the handle to the bedroom Kai and I had been sleeping in. She didn't deserve the energy it took to worry over her. As I softly closed the door behind me, I noticed Kai start to stir. He slightly propped himself up onto his elbows as he struggled to open his tired eyes.

The sight of him curled my lips into a soft smile. His messy hair, and sleepy grin aroused such a content warmth in my heart that it was impossible to focus on the tightness that had been plaguing me prior.

I quickly sneaked over to the bed, leaning over him and placing a gentle kiss on his soft lips.

"Good morning."

"You're up early." He observed.

"I said I'd help Caroline get breakfast ready." I explained, as I turned and collected my overnight bag from the floor.

"Okay." He nodded. "I'll come down and help after I've got showered."

My lips twisted into a small grin as I gave him a keen nod. "Yeah, that would be perfect." I smiled. "Caroline would really appreciate your help."

I lugged my bag up on to the bed and undid the zipper, rummaging around for the clothes I had packed for today. As my fingers dug deeper into the bag, I felt his eyes burning into me. Fixed so intently on me that I could physically feel his stare eating away at my skin.

But I refused to look up and acknowledge him.

Because I knew exactly what he was going to say. Exactly what he was going to ask. And I just couldn't bring myself to tell him the horrible things Elena had said about him. Not when he was finally letting himself make friends. Not when he was finally being accepted - at least by some people.

"Andie, are you going to talk to me?" He said softly. "Are you going to tell me what Elena said that got you so angry?"

I lifted my eyes with a small sigh, letting my gaze connect with his. His brow was wrinkled with concern, but I forced a smile across my lips, ignoring the uncomfortable lump rising in my throat.

"Yeah." I breathed. "We'll talk about it when we're home."

"Okay." He nodded, still looking noticeably concerned.

A little twinge of guilt tugged at my chest, telling me that I really should just be honest with him.

But how could I?

"I'm sorry." I sighed. "I know I'm being distant - it's just I really want to get through breakfast without any more drama." I explained. "It's Bonnie's day - I don't want to make it about me."

He gave an understanding nod, as his lips curved into the faintest smile. His legs swung around, and he planted his feet on the floor, as he reached out and grabbed onto my fingertips.