Ch. 24 Meet Me Halfway

We're back with an apology! And shenanigans, because I cope by humor.
I was going to give a long spiel on the truth behind emotion stress but y'all know by now that my character is unpredictable. Also, would most people react like this? Probably not. But this isn't about them, it's about my character. So, enjoy the makeup!
Annnnddd subsequent shenanigans because of who I am as a person.

The next chapter will be out March 29!

Content Warning: Emotional pain, sexual references (later half).

--------------------------------------------

"I'm not a member of the team."

Yes, he was well aware of that fact.

Pain coiled in Hunter's chest at Shadow's dejected appearance. Shoulders slack, tail dragging the ground, ears low against her head...

He didn't think he'd ever forget the pain on her face when he raised his voice at her, nor would the way it made him feel like he'd been punched in the gut.

By Wrecker.

When the man was mad.

But how could she just blatantly disregard his command like that? He was an officer in the GAR, and a commando officer at that. Not to mention his combat experience far outranked hers.

She should listen to him!

"Get over yourself," Crosshair growled at him over the comms.

Hunter bristled at both the sniper's words and his timing. He swore his brother was a mind reader at times with how accurate his words were. Always hit his mark on and off the field. "Get off my frequency, Crosshair."

"You're treatin' her like us in the early days."

"I said-"

"Treatin' her like she's made of glass will only get her angry."

"I am not treating her like she's made of glass," Hunter snapped. "She is not fit for combat!"

"Look at her and say that again. She's not used to combat. She handles herself just fine in close quarters and I saw those targets in her room, same as you."

Karking hells did Crosshair get talkative when chewing someone out.

But he had a point...

Shadow was more than capable in hand to hand and her targets were impressive for a civie...

"She'll be fine," he grumbled. "She'll get over it."

Would she, though? The last person she got into an argument with was Crosshair...

And Hunter remembered all too well how that went.

He hadn't permanently damaged the relationship, had he? He wanted her to know he wasn't playing around but...

"You know she will not talk to you again unless you speak to her first."

Again with the mind reading? "Get off my frequency," he hissed again at his sniper, taking extra measures and switching off his private comm.

He couldn't bend this quickly. Shadow needed to know that just because he had a crush on her, his word still needed to be respected.

But does your word take precedent over Shadow herself?

Unfortunately... it did.

Much as he hated it... their mission did come first. Shadow or no Shadow, they would complete this mission. They couldn't fail. Their freedom depended on it, for if they failed they risked being recalled to Kamino.