Ch. 42 Magmatic Might

Since the last cliffhanger was rather cruel, y'all get an early chapter :D
Crosshair is... displeased.
It's shorter than usual, only about 2600 words, but that's alright! I need a break anyway for real lol.

Speaking of break, I will be taking a break next week. This chapter does end on a cliffhanger of sorts, but it's a better stopping point than last week. The next chapter will be out the week after next!

Thanks again for all the comments!

Warnings: None aside from language and combat scenes!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hunter wasn't sure who screamed the loudest.

He wasn't sure who rushed to her side the fastest.

He wasn't sure whose fear was the strongest.

All he knew was he would never forget the sight of Shadow collapsing to the ground as the red bolt ripped through her.

"No!" Crosshair screamed, snapping his rifle into place and gunning down the commando as he stood over Shadow. "Karkin' shabuir!"

"You'll pay for this!" Wrecker roared, charging the approaching hoard.

"She's not breathing!" Tech screamed, voice breaking as he frantically tried to assess the damage done.

A dark hole in her shirt just below her collar continued to smoke, filling the sergeant with horror as he realized he couldn't hear her heartbeat.

She was right.

She was right!

Had she not stepped in and taken the bullet herself, it would have torn straight through Crosshair.

But as she laid unmoving on the ground, Hunter worried that her sacrifice cost her a life of her own.

If that plot armor didn't kick in...

They had to retreat. Shadow was down and, if she was still alive they couldn't risk any more injuries.

Hunter barked an order for Tech and Wrecker to take up defensive positions while he and Crosshair got Shadow out of there.

She wasn't dead, was she?

No!

No she couldn't be dead!

"Get her behind that rock!" he yelled to Crosshair, taking down another commando.

"You take her! I'll cover you!"

"Not the time-!"

A bolt clipped his shoulder, leaving a nasty streak dent in his armor and sending him spinning before crashing to the ground. Pain raced through his shoulder and head as he slammed into rocks.

"Damn it!" Crosshair snarled. "We need to move! Get her out of here now!"

Shaking his head, ears ringing, Hunter stumbled to Shadow and tried to drag her away.

They had to get off the field. They had to find cover.

They could take the hoard, but he was not risking Shadow.

Another red bolt whizzed by, so close Hunter swore he felt the heat from it even through his armor and blacks.

Hauling the unconscious woman behind a rock as Wrecker helped Crosshair in laying down cover fire, Hunter yanked his helmet off and frantically looked over Shadow.