· Brighton ·

Enjoy! xx

***

Sophie's POV

***

My hands fold shirts, jeans, sweatpants, and skirts quickly and almost mechanically, placing the items in boxes labelled "Clothes". I yawn and pause to stretch before packing books, notebooks, stuffed animals and bedsheets. I also pack some photos, my bedroom carpet and a small wooden painted cat I got for my sixth birthday from mum.

I tape all the boxes shut and move them out into the hallway when I'm done. Luckily, Wilbur and I started packing a few days beforehand so there wasn't as much work to be done today.

"Ready?" Wilbur asks, exiting his room as he pulls on a black beanie.

I nod. "Ready"

One by one, Wilbur and I carry down the boxes, loading them into his car. We only fill the boot with the essentials like clothes, bedsheets and toiletries. The moving van will bring the rest in a few days time.

Wilbur shuts the boot and we hop into the car.

***

Suffolk to Brighton is a two hour and a half drive. Wilbur turns the radio up and a few good songs flow from the speakers.

It's eight pm and as Wilbur and I drive through the quiet streets of Ipswich, the sun is already gone. Very few people are on the streets and I gaze out the window, suddenly feeling bad for not saying goodbye to Megan and the other close friends mum and I have here.

Wilbur hums along to the song lyrics, tapping the steering wheel and bobbing his head a little. He seems quite calm and a comfortable silence drapes itself around us as we make our way onto the highway.

Mum died at four-thirty this morning. The doctors rang Wilbur and told him that mum had had a seizure and that her heart had stopped beating. The disease was too far gone for the hospital to do anything about it.

I know I should be sad. A part of me kind of is, but when Wilbur told me the news, I didn't even tear up. Mum had become so unenjoyable for the past two weeks that it kind of felt like a weight off my shoulders. Mum had already been dead for a long time emotionally. She was just a walking corpse.

***

I must have fallen asleep at some point because when I open my eyes, we're suddenly in Brighton.

"Hey, sleepy," Wilbur smiles, watching me stretch and yawn. "We're almost home"

Home. That word feels foreign to me now and places a bitter taste on my tongue.

"I thought we could go out tomorrow and get stuff for your room like paint and anything else you want. How does that sound?"

"Good," I reply, observing the houses on the street as we turn down a road. "I'm down"

Wilbur drives on for a few more minutes before stopping in front of a big house. For a second, I think we've stopped off at a friend's place, but when Wilbur laughs at me, opening the trunk I suddenly realize this must be his house.

I get out of the passenger seat and stare up at the big house. I never knew Wilbur lived in a bloody mansion.

***

Wilbur and I take in boxes from the boot, placing them by the front door. Wilbur locks the door from the inside and exhales, closing his eyes. He opens them again and smiles at me, spreading his arms towards the staircase, living room and kitchen area combined.

"Welcome home, Sophs!"

"Thanks," I giggle, following him upstairs with a box of my clothes.

Once we reach the landing, Wilbur leads me down the hall to the room at the very back. We pass many doors and finally reach the last one.

"It's not the best, but it's a start," Wilbur says, pushing the door open. "You also have the best ocean view there is"

 My eyes absorb the room, every single colour speaking to me

My eyes absorb the room, every single colour speaking to me. I love black, grey and all dull and harsh colours really. I guess they're technically shades.

"I love it," I sigh, smiling softly around the room. "It's actually perfect. Thank you"

"No worries," Wilbur grins, putting on an Australian accent. "Glad you like it"

I place the box of clothes and my backpack on the floor next to the bed. The room smells fresh and I immediately fall onto the puffy covers, closing my eyes and breathing in the fresh laundry scent.

"I'll let you shower and unpack," Will says, rapping his knuckles gently on my door before leaving.

I roll over onto my back and stare at the black ceiling. This is so weird. I can't believe I'm at Wilbur's place. I have my own room, my own bathroom and I'm living with my older brother. Its definitely a weird feeling, but I have a feeling I'll be okay.

***

After a long hot shower, I change into some comfier clothes and walk back to my room to grab Mr Fluffbum. Mr Fluffbum is a stuffed grey rabbit I've had since birth. I know I'm sixteen, but I find it normal to still be clingy to a childhood toy.

I walk downstairs and see Wilbur on the living room sofa, strumming his guitar as he watches something on the TV. I make my way over and sit next to him, cuddling against the arm rest to watch whatever's on TV. It's the news about something, but my mind wanders and I can't seem to focus.

"You okay?" Wilbur asks, nudging me with his foot.

I nod and turn back to the TV. Will's eyes still stay on me.

"Are you sure?"

I sigh. "I'm thinking"

"About what?"

"About...stuff"

Wilbur chuckles, shaking his head. "Don't make me play the guessing game. It's long"

"Then don't play it," I shrug. "I don't want to talk about it"

***

Wilbur's POV

***

"Then don't play it," Sophie replies, shrugging her shoulders. "I don't want to talk about it"

I put my guitar down and sigh, folding my arms. Sophie looks at me before looking down at the floor. I suddenly realize that I haven't even talked to her about anything.

"Are you hungry?" I ask, nodding towards the kitchen. "I can make you something"

Sophie shakes her head. "I'm tired. I think I'm just going to go to bed"

Sophie does look tired. She never sleeps anymore and we've been packing up the house for days.

"Alright," I smile, turning the TV off. "I'll be streaming if you need me"

***
Sophie's POV
***

I hug Wilbur goodnight and then make my way upstairs towards my room.
I brush my teeth, brush my hair and wash my face before getting into bed.

The bed is comfortable and warm, miles away from my small creaky mattress back in Suffolk. The pillows are soft and as I lay back, the moonlight spilling in through the large window is comforting.
I shut my eyes and let the day catch up with me.

After everything today, I'm ready to get some sleep.

***