· The Funeral ·

Enjoy! xx

***

Sophie's POV

***

I let a tear roll down my cheek as I adjust the waist on my black dress

I let a tear roll down my cheek as I adjust the waist on my black dress. The dress is nice and used to be one of my favourites, but I feel sick wearing it now. 

Today is mum's funeral. 

I've been dreading this day for weeks and now that it's finally here, I feel a strange sense of relief. Maybe I can finally let go and move on when mum is buried six feet deep. Might be kinda morbid, but I don't really care. I've changed.

With trembling hands, I do my eyeliner, mascara and lipgloss. I brush my hair and grab my bag, now ready to go. 

I slip on my air forces and tie the laces tightly, hoping the pressing feeling on my feet will give me the comfort I need to confront today. I'm sceptical, but willing to take all the help I can at the moment.

***

"You look nice"

I raise my eyes to acknowledge Will's compliment and meet the identical pain in his eyes. We haven't really talked this week leading up to now, but it's clear to see we're both hurting.

"Thanks," I reply quietly. "You look good too"

Will's wearing an all black suit. His hair has been freshly cut and styled and his glasses sit on his nose painting him somewhat of a smart man. He doesn't really look or act like my brother anymore. 

These days we're kind of just strangers.

"So," Will says brightly, turning around to pour himself a cup of coffee. "We should leave soon. Don't want to hit the bad afternoon traffic"

"Hmm"

I sit down at the breakfast bar and rest my chin in my hands. My heart feels swollen and heavy, almost like a broken ankle. My chest feels tight and wrong and I just wish Wilbur would drink his damn coffee so we can get today over with. 

"Did you sleep okay?" Will asks.

I look down at my nails and shrug. I don't really feel like talking right now, let alone answering Will's useless small talk.

"Okay," Will sighs with a slight nod. "Why don't you go wait for me in the car, hey? I just need to grab the keys"

I nod and stay mute as I walk towards the front door. Will jogs upstairs in quest for his keys as I exit the house and make my way towards the car. The pavement sounds hollow and harsh with every step I take and I have to take a deep breath when my hands wrap around the car door handle. I feel a little nauseous and dizzy as I get in, the car seat seeming taunting when I sit. Will seems to be taking longer than what I imagined so I take a couple of deep breaths and reposition my mental state.