· A Fresh Start ·

Leave a comment, vote and follow if you're enjoying so far! xx (chapter suggestions welcome below)

***

Wilbur's POV

***

I awake to the sound of my alarm going off and groan softly, opening my eyes slowly. I definitely streamed way too late and too long last night.

I sit up and let out a big yawn as I take my phone off the bedside charger. As usual, my phone is clogged with notifications of all kind. I ignore them and tap onto Whatsapp to talk to Phil and Tommy and Fundy and the other lads.

Hey, mate, just checking in that you and your sister got home safe. When you see this tomorrow, let us know if you need anything xx

I smile at Phil's message in the chat. He's always been such a kind, selfless person. I don't think he comprehends the level of appreciation I have for him.

***

At nine-thirty I step into the shower and let the hot water wash yesterday's grief off of me. I haven't really had a moment to process what's been going on, but I do know I have to be strong for Sophie.

Sophie and mum have always been so incredibly close. Every moment out of work and school, they'd hang out together and be the bestest of friends. Now that mum's gone, I worry Sophie's mental state is in the bin. Especially after mum snapped on her so many times at the hospital.

I step out of the shower and wrap a towel around my waist. I brush my teeth, dry my hair and then get dressed for the day.

***

The news plays in the background as I switch the kettle on to make a coffee. The smokey scent wafting up my nostrils wakes me instantly and I add a splash of milk to even the flavour out a bit.

I put my spoon in the dishwasher and take a few more sips of coffee before setting the mug down on the kitchen table. I need to go check on Sophie.

***

I walk upstairs and down the hall to Sophie's room. The hallway appears quiet as I get closer to her door and I can't say I'm surprised. Sophie's not a morning person.

I knock gently at the door and wait for a reply. 

***

Sophie's POV

***

I open my eyes and shut them again when the sun streaming in through the bedroom curtains hits my eyes harshly. I open them again when it feels safe to do so and sit up, yawning into my hand. 

I take a moment to let my eyes absorb Wilbur's guest bedroom. I don't remember last night, but I was quite tired.

I rub my eyes and also take a moment to enjoy the silence. There's no birds singing obnoxiously outside the window, no traffic, no creaking of floorboards or the squealing of a spring coil in the matress. No sounds of hoovering, pans clashing downstairs or music blaring from the kitchen speakers like back in Suffolk. Brighton's quiet. I like it.

I yawn again and grab my phone to check the time. It's almost ten.

Knock knock

"Come in," I say.

The bedroom door opens and Wilbur stands there in the doorway, fully washed and dressed for the day. Back home, mum and I wouldn't get out of bed until twelve or sometimes one pm. We'd have a late breakfast, a walk through the town and then go home to watch TV or bake.

"Morning," Wilbur smiles. "Sleep well?"

I nod. "Yeah"

I think I fell asleep at two or three am. Sleeping in a different bed for the first time is a little intimidating.