03

"Turning vinegar to wine." Professor Flitwick's voice beamed through the full classroom, attempting to silence the chatter filling up the room. He had to repeat his words another three times before they had any effect on the class.

A pleased smile formed on the small wizards face as soon as he noticed his words finally had an effect on us, and he gave himself a single stern nod before continuing.

I raised my head that previously rested on Pansy's shoulder — the girl acknowledging it with a small whine — to straighten up and listen to the professor standing on top of his books in order to look over his desk.

"Turning vinegar into wine—" He began a fifth time, finally all eyes on him. "The incantation of which— oh," He interrupted himself, eyes darting towards the front of the class.

I couldn't identify whose hand was raised from the back— I didn't have to to know it was Granger's. A snicker passed by my lips, and Pansy nudged me humorously. "That little muggle-born never knew when to shut up," She murmured, a sarcastic undertone in her voice.

Eyes still upfront, I nodded in agreement, a small smile playing on my lips as well now. "Flitwick clearly didn't even ask for the spell. It's Acertum Converte, obviously. But you don't see me trying to show that off."

Pansy snorted humorously, the sound catching Flitwick's attention, whose eyes flickered back and forth between Granger in the front and Pansy in the back.

He cleared his throat, a smile still on his lips. "That's alright, Miss Granger," He simply said with a stern nod before simply continuing on his own, her hand lowering slowly. "Alright, alright. Where was I—?" He scratched the back of his head with his wand, a nervous chuckle escaping his lips before remembering. "Ah!" He cheered. "The incantation of which is Acertum Converte. Have any of you heard this spell before?"

A few low mumbles filled up the classroom, and Flitwick nodded in recognition of those who have heard of it before.

"What Acertum Converte does is fairly obvious. I'm assuming you've guessed from the name and the little vial in front of you today; we're turning vinegar to wine."

"Who would've thought," Pansy whispered lowly, amusement lacing her voice as she rolled her eyes.

"Before we begin, can anyone tell me why this particular spell is considered a charm and not a transfiguration?"

Thinking for no longer than a moment, my hand shot up simultaneously to somebody else's. Registering the movement of it, my eyes darted over to the blonde boy sitting in the same row, two desks over, his arm straight towards the ceiling.

His head turned my way at roughly the same time, leaning into his chair — just like I was — to get a glimpse of me. His lips turned upwards into a smirk as soon as he recognised me, and my nose scrunched up at the gesture.

Head turning back towards the front of the class, he shifted in his chair, sitting up straighter and stretching his arm further up into the air.

With an annoyed huff, I mirrored his action quickly, making sure my stretched out arm was higher up than his.

Another glance out of the corner of my eye let me know he noticed, and his arm inched higher up into the air once more.

Rolling my eyes, I went to sit up even straighter — almost lifting out of the chair completely — but Flitwick's voice stopped me before I had the chance to.

"Yes, Miss Granger?"

Not being able to suppress a groan, I slumped back into my seat, listening to her explanation only half-heartedly.

"Well, at first, of course, simply put, this spell seems to change one thing into another, rather than adding properties to it; technically making it a transfiguration spell—" Pansy faked a yawn next to me, dramatically pretending to cover her opened mouth with her hand while I tried my best not to laugh out loud at the gesture.

At once, the brunette boy sat in the row in front of us turned around, green eyes staring us down fiercely before the redhead to his right followed suit, his eyes darting back between Potter and both Pansy and me.

Raising my brows, I made sure not to break eye contact with him as we waited for either of them to say something in defence of their friend. They didn't.

Eyes still narrowed, brows furrowed in anger, Potter turned back around without another word, only making it harder for Pansy and me not to burst out laughing.

Granger's dull voice quickly reeled us back into reality, though, making the smiles on our faces fall slowly but surely.

"—However, when one considers that vinegar is produced through the oxidation of ethanol, it is entirely possible that what this charm does is revert that naturally occurring mechanism and not transform one thing to another," She went on proudly, and I'm sure even Weasley and Potter regretted ever trying to defend her with how she blabbered on and on. "Effectively making it a charm spell."

"Precisely, Miss Granger. Five points to Gryffindor."

This time I was able to keep myself from groaning lowly, reminding myself I didn't really care about winning the house cup anymore. I had more important things to worry about this year.

Though, my house pride was still strong enough to know I'd do anything to keep bloody Gryffindor from winning the damn thing yet again.

"Now, if you may— each of you has a vial filled with vinegar in front of them. Consequences of incorrect casting are not dangerous. So, we'll learn them by trying. Let's go!"

Chatter immediately filled the classroom, sounds of wands taken out of bags or quills against parchment accompanying it.

It didn't take long for the first vial to explode while another one's liquid simply froze. I was glad to see both Potter and Weasley were one of them.

By the end of the class, two vials filled with crimson liquid stood in front of us— Pansy's only matching mine because she begged me to charm her vinegar before Flitwick noticed.

Once he approved of them, awarding each of us ten points, she swiftly pocketed them.

"I'm sure these will make Transfiguration almost tolerable," She hummed before hurrying out of the classroom at the sound of the bell. 

A/N: Oop

I know I said updates every second day but I miss daily updating so jwhgcfjhg I couldn't help myself. 

Now you know how to turn vinegar into wine, you're welcome. :) 

I hope you liked this chapter. It's a little bit of a filler to show both Draco's and Adreanna's competitive nature's as well as her relationship w the golden trio lol 

See you tomorrow, perhaps? hehe