47

New years eve alone was a first.

Though, how alone were you really when you had a bottle of fire whisky right by your side?

The common room was empty; the few Slytherin students that did stay over the holidays still in the great hall with everyone else to celebrate. I simply didn't feel like doing that.

Tipping my head back and taking a small sip from the bottle, a sigh rattled through my chest as I rested my head on the back of the leather sofa I occupied.

I had planned this night out perfectly; wanted to take advantage of Gryffindor's common room being as empty as my one to take what I needed and go.

What better way to smuggle someone a cursed music box than under an invisibility cloak?

And the entire school knew Harry Potter had one.

Clearly, I had gotten distracted— enjoyed drinking in solitude more so than breaking into a common room and having to persuade the rather annoying fat lady guarding it. On the other hand, doing so under the influence seemed easier to tolerate.

So, I staggered through the empty corridors, deserted as the rest of the students celebrated New years eve in the great hall. If I listened close enough, I swore I could hear their giggles and chatters.

And for a split second, I regretted not joining in; remembering immediately afterwards that I was destined for more— for better as I went along my way. 

And as I made my way towards Gryffindor tower, my uneven footsteps echoing through the halls until I came to a halt, I remembered a small yet pivotal fact as I stared at the ever-moving stairs leading up to the door in question.

A harsh "fuck" fled my lips, and a little worried, I scanned the large staircase stretching out before me. The first flight of stairs moved before I ever stepped a foot on it, and a little strayed, I stumbled backwards.

I had the motor skills of a four-year-old whenever I drank, and therefore a hard time even without the ground underneath my feet literally moving.

The portraits scattered across the tall, stone walls watched me carefully, probably not expecting anyone in here up until way after midnight. They muttered things underneath their breaths, whispered to each other, all while their eyes didn't waver from my struggling form.

I held onto the first thing I could when I took a leap of faith and climbed the first steps up to my destination. As expected, the stairway began moving— abruptly so, as I stumbled against the railing harshly.

Instead of the pained hiss that should've escaped my mouth, a singular giggle escaped my lips, the sound lingering in the air as I quickly shut my mouth at the realisation.

After the fifth switch of stairs, an abrupt turn because I took the wrong one, and almost plunging into the depths below me, I had gotten the hang of it quite well. Proudly and faster than I had expected, I climbed the stairs, glared back at whatever painting granted me a similar look and finally arrived where I needed to.

A certain eagerness in me, I stared back at the Fat Lady in the portrait. Silently, her eyes fell down my body and then back up to my eyes, brows raising expectantly.

Interrupting her conversation with one of the portraits a few spots over, she said, "Well, I don't recognise you at all, young lady." Her voice high-pitched, and her tone plain confusion.

I huffed, a slight smile on my lips as I nodded knowingly. "Hello—" I began, immediately cutting myself off to do what I was here for. "If you don't mind, I really need to get in there—" I pointed around her, knowing the entrance to their common room was located right behind the frame she occupied.