45

Malfoy's words still lingered in my mind the next morning.

I was always careful and would always be careful. His threat didn't change anything about that.

Though, I did a double-take when he sat down on his regular seat on Christmas morning. My eyes lingered, head angled downwards, while my eyes were still batted open to take him in.

And as soon as his eyes met mine, a subtle smirk formed on his lips. "Merry Christmas," He said, a mocking tone in his voice that made me roll my eyes and divert them immediately after.

Malfoy scoffed at the motion. "After trying to kill me, the least you could do is wish me a merry Christmas, Hayes," He continued, en edge of amusement to his voice, and as my gaze fell on him again, both of his brows raised in expectation.

I sighed, shaking my head once more before a muttered, "You know, you're the one who poisoned me, right?" escaped my lips.

"Which is why I said Merry Christmas."

I inhaled a deep breath and exhaled it just as forcefully, eyes closed tightly in irritation. "And then threatened me yesterday," I quickly reminded him.

"Self defence," He deflected with a shrug, corner of his mouth quirked upwards. "Come on," He urged, a challenging gleam in his eyes. "Just say it."

I snorted dryly, unsure of why he was so persistent— if it had a reason or if he just wanted to be annoying; wanted to make a point out of making this my worst Christmas to date.

I shook my head. "You want it way too much for me to give in," I revealed, his eyes rolling in annoyance and amusement alike as my lips curled into a suggestive smile.

"Right," He laughed lowly. "It only seems fair, seeing as I gave you something you wanted way too much just the other night." A cocky smirk placed on his features; I almost leaned over to strangle him right then and there. Though, instead, I tried to collect myself.

"Do you want to shout it around any louder?" I huffed in annoyance, the words escaping my lips in a sharp whisper as I leaned further towards him just slightly.

With how little students actually stayed over the holiday's, any sign of an argument — a raised voice, an insult — would lead to everyone's eyes on us. Which wasn't necessarily what I was going for.

"I don't mind," He challenged, pretending to get up and inhaling a deep breath at the same time. Quickly, I did lean over the table, grabbing him by his robes and pushing him back down into his seat.

"I don't need everyone to know about one of the lowest points in my life—" I explained, eyes narrowed in on his as my hand held onto the fabric of his robes, waiting to make sure he wouldn't attempt to get up again as soon as I let go.

As I leaned back, sitting on my chair again, the blond shook his head slowly, gaze towards the table.

"Lowest point in life?" He wondered, an edge to his voice as his eyes batted open to connect with mine again. "You seemed pretty high on—"

"Fuck— Shut up, Malfoy," I groaned, cutting him off and refusing to hear the end of his sentence.

Defensively, he put his hands up in the air, a singular laugh escaping his mouth at the same time before his head cocked to the side.

He didn't say anything else, and the both of us enjoyed our breakfast in silence;

Silence up until it was interrupted by the sound of various pairs of wings flapping, parchment rustling, and a few owl calls ringing through the large hall.

And my eyes flickered over to him as a singular package landed on the space on the bench right next to him, eyeing it suspiciously up until my attention was caught by the letter that slowly settled down on my — thankfully empty — plate.

Dusting off the few crumbs it had collected on it, my eyes found their way over to the blond once again. A sigh rustled through my chest, my hands opening the letter in them.

"Merry Christmas," I muttered, eyes diverting before I could catch his gaze with mine. I didn't have to look at him to know the smirk that had plastered across his features at my words.

I shook my head – and placing my glasses on the bridge of my nose – I still felt his eyes on me. As I placed the envelope on the table and unfolded the parchment in it, I swallowed thickly.

In neat handwriting, It read;

Adreanna,

Merry Christmas!

Father told me to write to you over the holiday's to make sure you miss us dearly, and you'll never spend another Christmas without us. He said you're busy with school work and had to stay, but I wish you didn't.

I don't look forward to getting up tomorrow morning knowing I won't be able to wake you at six to go and open presents while you complain loudly but still get up, anyway.

I thought I would enjoy some quality time away from you, but the manor feels empty without you, and mother, and her Christmas eve balls. And I do miss you.

I miss her more.

It's been so long, you know? I still remember the ball last year. How she was so tense for everything to go perfect and scolded father for spilling red wine all over his white shirt? He just burst out laughing for no reason, and we all couldn't stop for ages. Even mother...

Merlin, I miss her so much—

I lowered the letter, closing my eyes to take a deep breath. I didn't lie when I said I shared my sister's sentiments, but I only realised how much so as I felt the tears pricking at my eyes.

Christmas eves were almost as anticipated as Christmas itself— if not more. Especially when it came down to quality time with mother, the Christmas holidays were one of the few weeks a year where she made time for us.

And so, her absence was even more prominent during this time.

I shook my head, ridding myself of the thought as my eyes darted through the room, ignoring Malfoy's attention on me as I made quick work of blinking the oncoming tears away.

My hand rubbed over my dry eyes once, and I picked up the letter again.

— I can't believe I'm saying this, but I look forward to seeing you again when I come back.

I wish this wouldn't have turned into a diary entry, but I'm too lazy to write another letter.

With love,

Gwen

Just as neatly as it was folded before, I put it back into the envelope with a subtle smile on my lips, head shaking lightly at my sister's words.

I ignored Malfoy's burning gaze on me. 

A/N: No because gwen is cute but how do 13 year olds write letters because I don't think they talk like this??? LOL anyways this 13 year old does <3

I hope you liked this chapter!!

See you. <3