27

Lightly swaying through the dimly lit corridor, I reached for the wall to my right in order to hold myself up.

They say you only realise how drunk you really are once you were by yourself. And whoever they were, they were definitely right.

The unfamiliar wings attached to my back made it harder for me to keep my balance, even without alcohol. So, the fact Malfoy hadn't noticed my loud footsteps and quieter curses slipping past my lips whenever I almost tripped and fell was almost laughable.

Glancing around a corner as discreetly as I could, I watched him climb the stairs of the astronomy tower swiftly, cape swaying behind him lightly and reminding me of Snape a little too much.

Seeing how close the Malfoy's were with the professor, I wondered whether he simply borrowed it for the night and would plan on giving it back to Snape in the morning.

The thought alone made a singular giggle escape my lips, my eyes widening as I retreated behind the wall, back pressed into it in hopes it might swallow me whole.

I held my breath, listening into the silence for any clues on the boy's reaction. He halted in his steps at the sound, the even clicking of his shows against the stone fading and leaving the corridor completely silent;

Nothing but the howling of the wind outside of the castle audible.

It must've been close to a minute in which the silence dragged on, and as soon as his shoes were heard against the stone again, a sigh of relief rattled through my chest.

Hearing the door to the tower open, I decided to go on; my footsteps so silent as they followed him up, I was a little surprised by it myself.

My brows furrowed lightly at the opened door before me. Though I wasn't going to complain, seeing as opening it without a sound would've been a far more challenging task.

Instead, I slipped through the crack, nose scrunching up when one of my wings got stuck in the door frame. I wiggled it slightly, only now realising I had full control of them.

A wide smile found itself on my lips at the discovery, flapping them simultaneously as well as the left one first, followed by the right one. Playing with them for a full minute, a joyful sound escaping my lips, I forgot what I was even here for.

The door loudly falling into its hinges behind me reminded me; smile fading and my body jerking around to find Malfoy leisurely leaning against the wall behind the door, an amused smirk on his lips.

"How much of an idiot do you think I am, Hayes?"

I quirked a brow at his words, feeling heat crawl over my neck all the way up to my cheeks, the latter tinting a light pink at the situation. Though, as long as he couldn't see the colour of my skin changing into one of light humiliation, I wouldn't let it be noticeable any other way.

"For my own sake, I prefer not to say," I quipped back, watching his attention flicker over to my wings, lightly batting behind my back. A sly smile found itself on my lips.

"Right," He huffed, rolling his eyes in an irritating manner as he pushed himself off the wall to take a few long strides over to where I was standing. Instead of waiting for him to stand before me, I turned around to step further onto the platform, the winds around us howling loudly and sending a shiver down my spine at the sudden drop in temperature.

Despite it all, I went on as if nothing about this evening was unusual; as if I didn't follow the blonde up here and as if he didn't just catch me doing so.

"So," I hummed lightly, hands clasped behind my back and my eyes steadily taking in the dark night before me. "What brings you here, Malfoy?" My hair was fiercely dancing in the wind, whipping right into my faces more than just a few times with each particularly strong gust.