Chapter 3: A New Room

After days of working diligently, it was time for (Y/N) to report her findings to Hange. She compiled the report nervously, double-checking all her work. She hoped she had done it correctly. It would be embarrassing if she had gotten everything wrong. She wanted Hange to be impressed, and to think she was a great addition to her team.

(Y/N)'s heart fluttered, and she frowned. She hadn't thought that admiration could cause physiological symptoms. She noticed her palms getting sweaty too. Maybe she was just tired and had anxiety about the submission of her work. Yes, that was it. She wasn't getting excited at the thought of seeing Hange after many days, she was just anxious.

(Y/N) opened the dorm room (she hadn't gotten her own room just yet) and walked down the dimly lit hallway towards Hange's office. It was evening and she could hear the cadets in the mess hall, goofing around and enjoying a few minutes of fun after a day of hard work. She reached the wooden door and swallowed before knocking lightly.

"Whooo is it?" Hange called out.

"Cadet (F/N) (L/N) reporting to submit her assignment," (Y/N) stated, relieved she didn't stutter.

"Oh, (Y/N)! Perfect timing, come in!" Hange swung open the door and smiled.

(Y/N) smiled back and entered the office, noticing it was exactly the same—if not messier—as it had been last week. She held out her report, "Here you go, section commander Hange."

Hange took the report from her, pulling her glasses over her eyes. She read through the report and (Y/N) hoped her handwriting was legible. Hange's expressions were unreadable and (Y/N) didn't know if she was impressed or disappointed.

"This is perfect, (Y/N)! I'm so impressed," Hange grinned at (Y/N).

(Y/N)'s heart warmed at Hange's jubilant grin directed towards her. She had done it; she had impressed her superior.

"In fact, I have good news for you," Hange sang as she placed the stack of papers on her desk and turned back toward (Y/N).

(Y/N) titled her head slightly. "What is it?"

"Let me just show you," Hange grabbed (Y/N)'s wrist and tugged her out of the room. They walked a few feet down the hall and stopped in front of a door.

"Ta-Da!" Hange said excitedly, flinging open the door. "It's your own room! And it's only two doors down from mine!"

(Y/N)'s eyes widened. "Oh my god! Thank you, section commander! This is amazing!"

The room was small and only had a desk, bed, chair, and a small window, but (Y/N) was in love. Her own space! Even back home she had to share a room with others. This was the first time she would ever have space just for herself.

"Anything for my research assistants!" Hange walked into the room, "In fact, I was so impressed with your work that I was wondering if you would like to be there when I do my experiments on Eren. It would be helpful to have another set of hands jotting down notes in case I forget something."

"Yeah, I could do that," (Y/N) said, her mind distracted by the way the warm light from the setting sun gleamed on Hange's skin, illuminating her chestnut brown hair and beautiful amber eyes. The window's angles were perfect. After realizing where her thoughts were wandering, (Y/N) silently chastised herself. She shouldn't be thinking of section commander Hange that way.

"Well, I'll leave you to pack and move in here. I've got more readings to do!" Hange said as she exited the room.

"Great, see you tomorrow!" (Y/N) smiled. She glanced around the room before going back to her dorms to collect the small number of items she owned.