Chapter 21: Running Away

(Y/N) froze. No. This wasn't happening. This was just a nightmare. A horrible nightmare. This wasn't real. She dug her fingernails deep into her palm and winced when pain shot out. Oh, this was real, alright. Maybe by some miracle, Hange didn't hear everything...

"H-how much did you hear?" (Y/N) rasped, shakily taking a step back.

"I...everything," Hange responded.

(Y/N) felt a bizarre wave of calm come over her and she nodded. "I see."

"(Y/N), I—" Hange took a step forward, her hands outstretched, but before she got to speak (Y/N) barreled past her and ran out the door. She ran faster than she had ever run before in her life, her shoes slapping against the concrete floor, her hair flying behind her. She ran past soldiers who shot her dirty looks for bumping into them. She ran out of the base, almost slipping at the sharp corners. She didn't dare look behind her.

(Y/N) made it outside, the dark clouds above rumbling ominously. She took a quick minute to scan the field and ran to the right, where the horse stables were. She didn't know where she was running, or even why. She just knew that she couldn't face Hange. Not now, not ever.

"(Y/N)!" Petra exclaimed, shocked as (Y/N) burst through the stable's door.

"Hi...Petra," (Y/N) wheezed, doubling over to catch her breath.

"What's wrong, are you okay? You're all red and flushed!"

"I'm...fine..." (Y/N) breathed heavily. "Are you leaving for your expedition?"

"Yeah, I just came here to get my horse. The rest of the squad is waiting."

A brilliant idea flashed through (Y/N)'s brain and she walked closer to Petra. "Can I come with you?"

"What? This is just for Levi's squad," Petra responded, confused. "I thought you were on Hange's squad."

"I am...just, please Petra," (Y/N) begged, her throat constricting. "I need to get away."

Petra looked concerned and placed a hand on (Y/N)'s forehead. "Are you okay? Did someone bother you?"

"I'll tell you on the way out. Please just let me come with you," (Y/N) begged, tears pooling in her eyes.

"Okay, okay, you can come with. I don't know how I'll explain this to Captain Levi but grab your horse. We're going to be late," Petra climbed atop of her horse.

(Y/N) nodded and quickly got her horse ready, swinging herself atop. She followed Petra farther away from the scout's base and towards the town. She felt nerves bubbling around in her stomach. Hange knew. Hange knew everything. She couldn't go back. Petra led (Y/N) to where Captain Levi was waiting with the rest of his crew.

"What is she doing here?" He questioned; an eyebrow raised.

"Section commander Hange sent me," (Y/N) said before Petra could talk, "she thought you might need some reinforcements."

Captain Levi narrowed his eyes and studied (Y/N) closely. "Four eyes sent you? Are you sure?"

"Yes, sir!" (Y/N) hoped that she sounded convincing enough.

"Tch. Well, let's get going before it turns dark."

Captain Levi led his horse to the direction of the gates and Petra and (Y/N) followed. It suddenly struck (Y/N) that this might have been a bad idea. She had no idea what this expedition was about nor did she know how long it would take. The last time she was outside the walls Hange had gotten injured.

"Now, do you want to tell me what this is all about?" Petra whispered; her horse close to (Y/N)'s.

(Y/N) sighed and rubbed her forehead with her fingers. She could feel a headache coming on. She didn't know how Petra would react to what she was about to say, but she knew she had to give Petra some sort of explanation. "It's...it's a long story."

"I'm all ears and we have around 30 minutes before we reach outside the walls."

(Y/N) inhaled and began to tell Petra everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"And I came here because I didn't want a confrontation," (Y/N) finished.

Petra rode her horse in silence before speaking up. "Wow, (Y/N). Why didn't you ever tell me you felt this way? I thought we were close friends."

"I'm sorry Petra, I just wasn't ready to tell anybody that I liked...girls. Honestly, I still don't know if I like all girls or just Hange."

"I understand. Some people might not be supportive, but I want you to know that I'm here for you and it doesn't matter to me whether you like boys or girls."

"Thanks," (Y/N) sniffled.

"So, you don't want to talk to her because of what exactly?"

"I don't want to know her opinion. I don't want to know what she thinks of me."

"You're afraid of rejection?"

(Y/N) nodded. She knew that it would tear her heart apart if Hange thought she was weird and kicked her off the squad. She didn't want Hange to think negatively of her. So, running away gave her a momentary break from dealing with that.

"You know you have to talk to her once you get back, right? You can't avoid her forever," Petra said, softly.

"I know. I'll at least have had some time to think about it. If I had talked to her right then and there, I don't know what I would have said. By the time we get back, I'll have some sort of explanation and a little bit more preparation for dealing with Hange."

Petra smiled. "Well, I wish you luck, (Y/N). Love is a beautiful thing, especially as soldiers, we're trained to see everything from a destructive mindset. Having love humbles you and reminds you of the reason why we're doing what we're doing. I hope it works well for you."

"Thank you, Petra."

The trail of horses stopped as the squad reached the gates. The door of the gates raised and (Y/N) took in a long, shuddering breath. She shoved all thoughts of Hange out of her mind and focused her attention on the expedition ahead of her. She could do this.

A/N: Hi guys! I loved reading what you all would have done in that situation, and most of you wrote that either dying or running away would seem like a good option. I couldn't just let (Y/N) die (especially since she and Hange didn't get together yet lol) but she did run away! And honestly, I would have done something similar and never looked back! Thank you thank you thank you for all the comments and reads :)

On another note, has anyone watched the recent aot episode? Hange wearing all white makes my heart stop.