Chapter 26: What it Means to be Happy

(Y/N) froze after she had burst through the door. She felt a sprinkle of doubt and wondered if she could just turn around and walk back out. But it was too late. Hange had noticed. (Y/N) took a deep breath and closed the door behind her. She could do this.

Hange looked up from her desk, startled. "(Y/N)?"

"Hange. I need to talk to you," (Y/N) walked straight up to the desk, placing her hands on the surface, and leaning forward.

"Wh—"

"Shh," (Y/N) pointed a finger. "I realized I hadn't said a single word at the lake. I also never really confessed to you properly. And I believe I deserve to get a say. So, you're going to be quiet and listen to me, okay?"

Hange's eyes widened, and she raised her eyebrows, surprised at (Y/N)'s assertiveness. But she leaned back in her seat and crossed her arms, motioning with her head that she was listening.

"I...I um..." (Y/N) could feel the confidence in her falter.

Hange narrowed her eyes and a small smirk flitted across her lips. She waved a hand, as if to say go on, I'm listening.

(Y/N) took in a deep breath and began, "By now, I'm sure you know how I feel about you. I love you, Hange. I love everything about you, from your stunning appearance to your exuberant personality. When I think about happiness....I think about being with you."

A light blush tinted Hange's cheeks and she pushed back from her desk, walking over to where (Y/N) was standing. Keeping her eyes trained on (Y/N), she leaned against the desk and crossed her arms, just a few inches away from (Y/N).

"I hadn't planned on falling for you. Um, I was sure I liked guys. But then I got to know you and...and well now I'm doubting my whole identity," (Y/N) joked. "But in a good way! I like being in love with you, if that makes any sense. I hadn't ever planned on telling you either, for the same reasons that you had mentioned at the lake. We're soldiers, we're probably going to live short painful lives...you're a busy scientist..."

A grin was beginning to stretch across Hange's face, and she reached out, placing her hands on (Y/N)'s hips and positioning (Y/N) right in front of her. Hange kept her hands in place and looked at (Y/N) innocently.

"I, um," (Y/N) faltered at Hange's touch. She was making this much harder than it had to be. "You said that as soldiers that we should limit the number of weaknesses we have so that it doesn't hurt when they get snatched from us. We need to be strong, and love naturally counts as a weakness, right? But I disagree."

Hange nodded slowly, pursing her lips.

"Love is not a weakness; it can be a strength. Love reminds us of why we're doing what we're doing," (Y/N) smiled, remembering what Petra had told her. "I'm willing to take the risk of dying if it meant I spent even a short time knowing you."

Hange eyes softened and she looked at (Y/N) with a tender expression. She lifted her hand and placed it at (Y/N)'s neck, staring at her flushed cheeks and heaving chest. She hadn't seen (Y/N) this passionate before.

"And when it comes to your job, I don't care," (Y/N) stepped closer to Hange. "I admire your passion and would never want to take it from you. I don't need your attention constantly, either. I just need you. You are enough for me."

(Y/N) took a deep breath and stared into Hange's eyes. Now that her rant was finished, she could feel all the nerves jumbling around inside of her. Maybe this was a bad idea. Maybe this would make things worse.

"I'm not saying this to force you into a relationship with me, Hange," (Y/N) said truthfully. "I'm saying this because I think that you're stopping yourself from being happy, from experiencing life, whether it be with me or anybody else. I know we have responsibilities, but don't we deserve to be happy too? You're more than just a scientist. You're more than just a soldier. You're Hange Zoe and you deserve to be happy."