Chapter 19: The Massage

(Y/N) sighed as she sat across from Pine the titan, legs crossed underneath her. Ever since Hange could walk and do things by herself, she had stopped requesting for (Y/N)'s help. Instead, she had given her a list of assignments to complete, including observing Pine. (Y/N) missed those days where she would spend hours with Hange. Now, everything was bleak and boring in comparison.

"(Y/N)!!"

(Y/N) turned around to see Hange running up to her, her face lit up with enthusiasm. She smiled back, "Hey, Hange."

"How's Pine? Has he done anything interesting yet?" Hange plopped onto the ground next to her.

"Besides trying to eat me? Nope."

"Oh," Hange looked back at Pine, frowning.

(Y/N) nodded slowly, unsure of where the conversation was going. She hadn't had a chance to sit down and talk to Hange for days, and now that it was finally happening, she was being so awkward. All of the progress she had made with Hange was gone, she was back to her shy self.

"Did you tell your lady love yet?" Hange turned back to (Y/N).

(Y/N) shook her head. "I don't think I ever will."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't she will like me. And we're soldiers, we don't have the time or luxury for those kinds of things," (Y/N) brushed off the dirt on her pants.

"You should give it a try," Hange said softly, laying a hand on (Y/N)'s arm. "We have to seize happiness when we find it. Our lives are too short to mull over our thoughts."

"Thanks, Hange," (Y/N) sighed, her thoughts distracted. Her heart felt heavy at the thought of pretending to be Hange's friend for the rest of her life.

Hange nodded, continuing to look at (Y/N). "Are you alright?"

"Yep." (Y/N) had been thinking of her love for Hange a lot more over the past few days. She decided that the best thing to do was to accept that they would never end up together. There wasn't even the slightest chance. Instead, she should try to distance herself from Hange to make the love burn out.

"You don't seem like yourself," Hange placed a hand on (Y/N)'s forehead, checking her temperature.

(Y/N) thought back to when she had to give Hange a bath, and the way her skin felt. She thought of when Hange's hair felt soft to the touch, when—

"(Y/N), are you even listening?" Hange waved a hand in front of her face.

"Huh? Oh sorry, what were you saying?"

"I was asking if you were stressed. Am I giving you too much work?"

"Not really, I guess I'm just tired and sore from training."

"Oh, oh, oh!" Hange shot up, excitedly. "I have an idea!"

"What is it?" (Y/N) asked as she let Hange drag her to her feet.

Hange grabbed (Y/N)'s hand and tugged her towards the dorms. "You'll see!"

Hange led (Y/N) through the dark, empty hallways. It was almost dinner so most of the soldiers were probably getting ready for bed or hanging out in each other's rooms. Hange's fingers were intertwined with her own and (Y/N) felt the familiar thumping of her escalated heart rate as she internally sighed. Getting rid of her love would take a long time.

Hange opened the door to her room and ushered (Y/N) in. The room looked exactly like it had been when (Y/N) had last visited, except it was possibly even messier. Hange placed her hands on (Y/N)'s shoulders and forced her on the bed. She stared at (Y/N), head tilted.