1.

Sophie POV.

I shiver and I move closer to my best friend, Dex. 

We're sitting together on Gavaldon hill, enjoying the sunset. Watching the rest of the villagers hurry around, rubbing mud into their skin, and punching the hell out of each other. Trying to look ugly and beaten, trying to be cruel and unmercyful. 

Dex and I were just laughing at the fact that theyre all sweet and caring, we cant really be bothered be a part of that nonsense, we already know that it's one of us going to the infamous school.

Probably Dex. He's the better looking one. 

My adopted parents say that I'm beautiful, but that's obviously not  true. They're just being nice.

I hear a sniffle beside me, and I turn to face Dex.

"What's wrong?" I softly murmur.

Tears are running down his face, and his shoulders are shaking uncontrollably.

I  lean in and give him a hug.

"Its just, you're the better one of us, so you'll be kidnapped. I'm not sure what I'd do if you weren't here..." He gurgles through his throaty hiccups.

I shake my head, and giggle. 

"Dex. I'm not going. Theres NO WAY that I'd go, just look at you." I tell him.

"Look at those two kids Mumma!" A kid screeches from the bookstore, below.

"Why'd we need 'ta get dressed up?" The little kid yells, "'dhose kids will be gown by mowning." 

Dex and I share a glance. We've never considered both being kidnaped. 

Dex breakes out of his daze first, and shakes his head, "it'll be you."

I roll my eyes, "you've gotta be kiddin' me. It's you."

Dex looks me staight in the eye, tears shining, periwinkle eyes glowing. 

"Both of us. Deal?"

I dont really understand what he means, but I still shake his hand.

"Deal."

I look up from where I'm sitting on the windowsil, studying the stars that I've already memorised.

Dex whimpers from a chair in the corner.

The church clock strikes twelve.

Dong. Dong. Dong. Dong.

The school master should be on his way...if it is really us.

Dong. Dong. Dong. Dong.

I glance at Dex again, he's fallen asleep somehow.

Dong. Dong. Dong. Dong.

I finally spot the moving shadow, the shadow which strikes fear in every villager's heart.

I shake Dex awake.

"Dex, wake up. The school master's here." I whisper.

"WHASGOINONWHAYOHER" Dex yells, I wince, putting my index finger to my lips.

I point to where the shadow is dancing through the empty streets, our little towerish house on the hill having a good view of the village

The shadow is approaching the neighbors house now, and Dex's rapid heartbeat can be heard in the silence. 

"Dex." I whisper, "calm down." 

He shakes his head, his breathing becoming unstable.

"I wont let you go! I dont wanna go!! You'll die! I'll die! I dont wanna be lonely again!" Dex splutters.