14.

Linh POV. 🌊

I hold Keefe's hand for hours, Marella keeps glaring at us. 

Sh- they probably thinks that we're more then friends, and we are. Just not in that way.

I'm only doing it cause Keefe needs some help. 

We all keep walking.

Walking towards where Dex said the DNA thingy is directing.

West. The sun is setting by the West, and that's what we're walking toward.

"Keefe we need to rest." Biana pants in the hot evening sun. the forest is alive with bugs, and we're all itching ourselves all over because of the bites the tiny vermin have given us.

Keefe shrugs, and sits down on a tree stump.

We're in a pine forest, according to the DNA thing, Sophie is in the next forest over, only a hay field lays ours between hers and ours.

Tam and Biana excuse themselves, walking away together in search of timber.

Marella, luckily, has the actual fire part sorted.

I sit down beside Dex, watching him fiddle with the DNA tech for a good ten minutes.

"I always thought I would be a knight when I grew up, and here I am fangirling over nerdy tech." He finally tells me, not looking up from his working fingers.

I nod, "I figured I'd be a mermaid."

Dex cracks up, Keefe looks at us strangely and Marella shoots me a glare from where they're gathering dried leaves to sleep on.

"What age where you when you believed you could grow a tail, and breath under water?" He asks. I grin, "I've always believed that."

Dex gives a thoughtful nod, "so your a dreamer."

I give him a thumbs up.

We both double over in laughs, Marella walks over to us.

"What's up?" They asks us.

Dex looks up, "Linh wants to be a mermaid. She believes that she can breath under water." 

"I can!" I defend myself.

Marella shakes their head and lets out a beautiful laugh, "I came over to ask if one of you could help Keefe, hes gonna be awake all night, on guard. So he needs his beauty sleep now or never."

Dex hops up immediatly, and skips over to Keefe... I've never seen a boy skip.

Marella beams, and sits down beside me.

I let myself close my eyes and smile.

************

I get shaken awake by my dear brother.

"LIIIIINH!!! ARE YOU DEAAAAD????!!!!!!" He sounds panicked, so I give him the satisfaction of seeing that I truly am alive... by starting to shudder.

I hear Tam scream and jump back, and I sit up.

"What did I miss?" I ask innocently.

"You missed-" Tam stops Keefe with a glare that could wither flowers.

"You missed nothing but this hooligan-" Tam points at Keefe, "-screaming and yelling."

"I did not!" Keefe scoffs.

Marella nods, "Tammy, ya gotta remember, you and Keefe are so similar, that sometimes even you forget if he or you did something."

Tam scowls, and Keefe and Marella high-five.

"Anyway, we've made the fire, while you were having youre beauty sleep we got ALOT done." Dex pauses, counting on his fingers.

"Seriously man! You still count on your fingers! Well that means I cant call you 'man'..." Keefe taps his chin thoughtfully. "How bout 'baby'? Nope. That sounds weird, and people would probably think we were in an affair or somthing... oh 'DUDE' thats the one!"

Dex crosses his arms, "meanie." 

"AUUUUGH!!" Marella flops onto a pile of leaves. "I'm SOOOOOOO bored!!"

Biana sits up from where shes warming her hands on the fire.

"Truth of Dare time!!!!!!!!" She yells, we all shush her. "Bia, we're in a dark, scary forest. DO NOT shout on the top of your lunges!" I scold her. "There are probably monsters and.. and... VAMPIRES!! And look!! Theres a FULL MOON!!!"

We all pale, even me. All of us know, that any werewolf with common sense, should sniff us out. And tear us into pork ribs... Human ribs...

We all share a shudder. 

I take deep breaths, and I cloud my vision with imaginery Alicorns, and imps.

"Keefe and I have something important to discuss." I finally say, breaking the eery silence.

Keefe nods, and we walk together over to the other side of the fire.

"Whos gonna kill Gisela if we ever manage to make it that far?!" Keefe whispers, it wasnt exactly what i was planning to talk about but we can stick with this topic.

I'd reminded myself of Gisela when I mentioned that there were monsters in this forest anyway. Keefe must have been reminded of the same.

"Paper scissors rock?" I suggest.

Keefe shakes his head, "its a little babyish."

"Then I'm gonna kill her!" I tell him, rising to my knees.

"She's my mother!" Keefe stands up.

I sit back down, "exactly. You're no monster. You cant kill your own mother!"

Keefe sinks to the ground, "I know..."

I wrap a arm around his shoulder, "Keefe. Lets just focus on recsueing Sophie."

"I am. But my mother is a part of this!"

I frown, "how?"

"You took wa-way too long packing, so I searc-searched the castle." He stammers through quick breaths, his eyes clouding over.

"And what did you find?" I press.

Keefe slips his hand in his pocket, and brings out a note:

Dear Keefe,

I'm doing this for you.

Love, 
Mother

And glance up at Keefe, his eyes shine with tears. 

"Why didnt you tell me?"

He shakes his head, "there was already so much going on."

"But Keefe-"

He puts a hand over my mouth.

"Shh!"

"What?!" I say into his palm.

"I thought I could hear something..."

A huge roar rattles the trees around us, and our fire sparks hysterically.

"RUN!!" Keefe screams, "RUN FOR THE FIELDS!!"

******************************

DUN DUN DUUUUUUH!!!

Hope ya enjoyed!!!

and AHHHHHHHH Im nearly up to 1k on this story!!!!! YAYAYYAYAYAYAY!!!

~> sparky ✨💎<~

(has been redone)

Word count: 983